Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 05:34 PM

Default MTC and Looping - PT as master to external sequencer?

Greetings,
I am trying to sync up Logic running on a separate machine to MTC generated from PT (5.1). It is partly working = when you hit play in PT, Logic starts from the right location, but if you are looping in PT, Logic does not jump back to the beginning of the loop, it just keeps on playing. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a problem with the MTC protocol, a bug in either of the programs or a switch that I have missed?

Thanks,
Jared
Old 04-05-2001, 07:54 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTC and Looping - PT as master to external sequencer?

Due to the nature of SMPTE (as well as MTC), looping is not possible. It is an absolute measure of time that cannot loop back to a start point. If the time code was looped, it would cause glitches since a certain amount of pre-roll would be needed.

When trying to sync a sequencer with a loop in Pro Tools, you must also set the sequencer to loop at the same point. Otherwise it will simply keep playing.

Brent
Old 04-05-2001, 08:35 AM

Default Re: MTC and Looping - PT as master to external sequencer?

Brent,

I have been told that this was something that was being done
by Digidesign. Mark Gilbert of Gallery fame has led us to beleive that this was in the works development-wise...

As far as MTC glitches, sure this feature would not need to be completely glitchfree at the loop points for the kind of work we do. Audio for picture.

Just to be able to loop a section in Protools and have a
videoplayer slave to incoming MTC.
If it takes a second before playback resumes, so be it.
It is a really important feature for this kind of thing..

I am not sure I see why this would be so hard to do
and I have to admit that I am dissapointed as to your reply.

Please re-consider.

regards
Janne Anderson