How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2024, 10:31 AM

Default Inner Circle new Handy Drums plug in solved

So I got the new InnerCircle free Handy Drums plugin
And everything works and sounds fine EXCEPT using multiple outputs does not work

I followed the Gorgan Grooves tutorial for multi outputs in Pro Tools

#1 Put the plugin on a stereo instrument track (which will play all the different drums correctly)
#2 made more stereo (tired mono also ) instrument tracks (for Kick -Snare - Toms -HH- ect.)
#3 chose different plug in mixer channel outs for the different drums i.e. Kick 3-4 ,, Snare 5-6
#4 chose the corresponding input on the PT instrument tracks i.e. channels 3-4 for Kick track etc. etc.

the Handy Drum mixer output selection shows all the channels listed like st1 -st2-st3-st4 etc. BUT the only miser channels that will pass a signal are st1 and st 2

Any body get this plug in to work correctly ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-15-2024 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Inner Circle new Handy Drums plug in does not work correctly

I haven't worked w/ Handy Drums but assuming it's similar to other multi-out-capable plug-ins, I think your step 2 might be causing the problem.
I've never used Instrument tracks to receive the audio output from a multi-out plug-in (I use audio tracks instead...or I guess you could use Auxes).
Try that and see if it does what you want it to be doing.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:08 PM

Working here on my Windows 10 system.

Created 1 stereo instrument track + 9 more stereo instrument tracks (I prefer inst tracks so the the newly created channels aren't solo safe by default).

I set up the output config on the plug-in first then used the Windows shortcut for auto-assigning the outputs to respective inputs (Ctrl + Shift + Alt) when selecting "plug-in>3-4" in the I/O input drop down menu (from the first of the 9 newly created instrument tracks).

Maybe the plug-in reverted to the default config somehow. Try keeping the kick on 1 & 2 since that output is assigned to the original instrument track.

** I think the shortcut for Mac is Command + Shift + Opt

I'm going to try this with Toontrack EZplayer which serves as a host to all my MIDI libraries.
Ezplayer is no longer supported by Toontrack but I'm familiar with it's behavior and can keep it working when if/or when it drops out by playing a MIDI file from the PT timeline. This usually resets the dropouts that occur when playing from the library sometimes.

Update: EZplayer working well using the GM mapping. This new plug-in gets extra excited with the Toontrack MIDI libraries.

Thanks Kev for the heads up on the new plug-in! I usually get my AVID email alerts the next day.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 02-13-2024 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
I haven't worked w/ Handy Drums but assuming it's similar to other multi-out-capable plug-ins, I think your step 2 might be causing the problem.
I've never used Instrument tracks to receive the audio output from a multi-out plug-in (I use audio tracks instead...or I guess you could use Auxes).
Try that and see if it does what you want it to be doing.
I hope this helps.
Thanks but
Yes, I already tried using one instrument track to instantiate the Handy Drum instrument on ,,and then Aux tracks for the different drums (like I do for Slate Drums) but then there was no signal or sound no matter what output I choose AND using all Instrument tracks is per what the instructions are on the Handy Drums website.
I have not tried Audio tracks but given Handy Drums says "instrument tracks " I am guessing audio tracks will not work either

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-13-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
Working here on my Windows 10 system.

Created 1 stereo instrument track + 9 more stereo instrument tracks (I prefer inst tracks so the the newly created channels aren't solo safe by default).
Interesting and as I stated above "instrument" tracks is what Handy Drums says to use for the other individual drums tracks

Quote:
I set up the output config on the plug-in first then used the Windows shortcut for auto-assigning the outputs to respective inputs (Ctrl + Shift + Alt) when selecting "plug-in>3-4" in the I/O input drop down menu (from the first of the 9 newly created instrument tracks).
.** I think the shortcut for Mac is Command + Shift + Opt
So to clarify you set up all the outputs on the Handy Drum first, then went to assigning the inputs on the other 9 tracks in Pro Tools ?
(I'll give that a try I do not remember which I assigned first, PT or HD )

Quote:
Maybe the plug-in reverted to the default config somehow. Try keeping the kick on 1 & 2 since that output is assigned to the original instrument track
So I did try assigning the kick tract to st1 and it works but for example---only if also assign the snare also to st 1 or st 2 (they do not come up as stereo pairs on the HD drum individual outputs ) will the snare track get a signal AND the kick track is also firing as well So yes the only configuration the plug in is recognizing is the 1-2 output it does not recognize/work on any of the rest the output numbers even though is shows then in the outputs dropdowns

Here are some screen shots of my configuration

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-13-2024, 09:58 AM

Side note: how do you like Handy Drums?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Side note: how do you like Handy Drums?
So far they sound decent but I have not really tried them in a mix or recording because I would like to get this (what looks like a routing issue ) resolved first

At first they are dryer than the Slate drums which can be a good thing IMO because I can then add in any ambience I want

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Avid

I just tried routing Handy Drums on my end and it worked.

Im on Pro Tools 2023.12.1 on Ventura 13.5.2.

Here is my routing and tracks...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.14.02 AM.jpg (62.0 KB, 0 views)

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 02-13-2024, 11:50 AM
Avid

Sorry, forgot to mention that the Input is set to the plugin...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.48.59 AM.jpg (61.8 KB, 0 views)

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention that the Input is set to the plugin...
Hey thanks tope you for your reply. But I can not make sense of your routing scheme

It looks like you using only one instrument track to put the HD plugin on and using Audio tracks for input of the various different drums on the HD plugin ?

But it looks like the input numbers on the Audio tracks do not match the output numbers on the HD plugin So how does that work ??

For example you show the inputs for the named "SNARE' track in PT as inputs 3-4 BUT on the HD plugin you have (st 2) selected

And (assuming) the PT Audio 2 track is the Kick track. Again you show the inputs for PT Audio 2 as 5-6 but on the HD plugin you have (st 3) selected

And again assuming PT Audio track is for High Hats you show PT 7-8 But have (st 4) selected for Hats on HD

OK so I recreated exactly what I think you are doing and I get no sounds or signals in PT am testing right now

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-13-2024 at 01:52 PM.