Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 10:49 AM

Default File management question... Help plz...

Whew! We're finally done with a few songs on the Digi001. Mixes are complete and I'd like to archive the files to CDR. During the course of recording there were many missed takes and mistakes which have been edited. Regions have been removed periodically from the regions bin, but not always deleted from the audio folder.

Question: I'm ready to archive, and I'd like to only save the files that are actually being used in these songs. What's the easiest way to weed out the audio folder of all unused files prior to backing up the data?
Old 11-30-2001, 02:35 AM

Default Re: File management question... Help plz...

#1:Select unused regions->Delete (this will delete the selected regions from the region bin).

#2: Compact selected command (this will do like the previous command but will also erase unused audio from regions present in the edit window).

Personnaly, I wouldn't do this...Unless you really have lots of Gigas to back up, back up the whole thing ! In my opinion, a real back up should include everything related to the session (the only Delete I use is during editing and mixing itself->ex: if I apply the Normalize or Gain Plug In, I then delete the previous original which is now useless,...).

You never know... one month later and that "off the beat" take you recorded and then deleted during back up could be back on your mind, haunting your dreams, waking you up (screaming and sweating) in the middle of the night, you'll hear its voice "Whyyyyy,whyyyyy, why did you erase meeeee, I was better than the take you kept!!!!!!!!!", etc, etc...Your wife, exhausted by these sleepless nights could even decide to leave you! You'll loose your job (clients didn't appreciate you falling asleep on the mixer in the middle of a mix session...)! And not to mention...!!!!......ok,ok, that's a little exaggerated...but, really, think twice before deleting.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:29 AM

You should back everything up. CD-R media is cheap, regrets aren't!
Old 11-30-2001, 06:27 AM

I started doing something recently that's been helpful. After a good take is gotten I select and delete all the related outs and delete them. I also try to name the keeper and any seconds or thirds. It keeps sessions small and organized and leaves me less work for later. Rather than sit around while people are tuning or whatever, I've been trying to do the work I used to leave for later.
-Pete
Old 11-30-2001, 08:16 AM

What I'm really looking for is an easy way to identify regions in my AUDIO FOLDERS, which aren't being used in a session. These regions have already been removed from the region bin, but are still in the related audio folder.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:27 AM

Burton, this might help you out.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2001, 03:05 PM

There is a much better way!!!

Ive said it a million times, ill say it agian..
Go to audio file pop up and "remove" unused regions. (Dont delete unless you know your safe)

Then compact session.

Then choose "save copy of session"

this will make a copy of the session using ALL and ONLY the needed files for that specific session.
I ALWAYS do this after a session complete. I have NEVER lost a peace of audi after learning this method. AND... it doesnt copy files that are in the old audio files folder that you are no longer using.
SIMPLe and EFECTIVE.
A must do operation!

After all this is done with all the current sessions , you can trash the old (original sessions) and watch the disk space come back to life!