Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I was referring to the additional software on the Gigabyte CD - not sure which program was causing the conflict but my system is running perfectly without any of it.
Ohhh... Yeah, thatz a definite No'ski

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Default i7 Builds - Specs and Results

OK, so I have built he guitardom spec and installed Windows XP Pro with all updates. Now want to make sure I do the correct BIOS tweaks...

From the tips section on page one of this thread....

"First if your OCZ memory supports X.M.P. (check manual or their website) then on the "AI Tweaker" window switch to X.M.P. that will just set all your RAM timing to match with the CPU and all the other things. It will adjust voltages and everything...."

Where can I find AI Tweaker to make the above change?

Second: Disable Speedstepping (C1E, C3/C6/C7) on Gigayte boards. This feature should be above the Turbo Mode or somewhere in the CPU Settings. Note that this will also disalble TURBO MODE. Anyway u got to do that because Speedsteppin is causing some errors with Pro Tools...

In the Version FA BIOS of the Gigabyte board, in the Advanced CPU Features section of M.I.T. there's a setting for CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and also for C3/C6/C7 State Support. According to above I should disable BOTH? There's also a third setting called CPU EIST Function which the Gigabyte manual describes as Side Stepping. This does not agree with the above but I disabled this also. When I do these three disables the Turbo Boost Tech. is not automatically disabled (as it suggests above) so I assume I need to do that manually as well?

FYI I have the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (rev 1.6) which I updated to BIOS FA (there seems to be an FB which fixes IDE compatibility and a Beta FD4 version that fixes abnormal CPU temperature. Anyone using this version of the Mobo and can help me out?

Also wondering why we are putting 6 megs of memory if XP can only see 3 megs? What good is the /3GB switch then?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Hah! I made the mistake of pushing the install everything button on that $%$#@ Gigabyte driver CD....didn't mean to...and after a minute or so it froze my whole system. I tried rebooting (6 or 7 times) but every time I got back into Windows, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. I tried every setting in the BIOS (which, of course, worked fine) no dice...ended up having to reinstall XP. Not a huge deal because I had just finished the build but I DEFINITELY learned my lesson about motherboard CDs. Into the circular file with 'em!!

Andy B
Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
OK, so I have built he guitardom spec and installed Windows XP Pro with all updates. Now want to make sure I do the correct BIOS tweaks...

From the tips section on page one of this thread....

"First if your OCZ memory supports X.M.P. (check manual or their website) then on the "AI Tweaker" window switch to X.M.P. that will just set all your RAM timing to match with the CPU and all the other things. It will adjust voltages and everything...."

Where can I find AI Tweaker to make the above change?

Second: Disable Speedstepping (C1E, C3/C6/C7) on Gigayte boards. This feature should be above the Turbo Mode or somewhere in the CPU Settings. Note that this will also disalble TURBO MODE. Anyway u got to do that because Speedsteppin is causing some errors with Pro Tools...

In the Version FA BIOS of the Gigabyte board, in the Advanced CPU Features section of M.I.T. there's a setting for CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and also for C3/C6/C7 State Support. According to above I should disable BOTH? There's also a third setting called CPU EIST Function which the Gigabyte manual describes as Side Stepping. This does not agree with the above but I disabled this also. When I do these three disables the Turbo Boost Tech. is not automatically disabled (as it suggests above) so I assume I need to do that manually as well?

FYI I have the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (rev 1.6) which I updated to BIOS FA (there seems to be an FB which fixes IDE compatibility and a Beta FD4 version that fixes abnormal CPU temperature. Anyone using this version of the Mobo and can help me out?

Also wondering why we are putting 6 megs of memory if XP can only see 3 megs? What good is the /3GB switch then?

Thanks in advance.

i don't have your mobo manual in front of me but when you take your CPU and DRAM outta 'AUTO' mode and put it in 'MANUAL' mode, you will/should see the AI Tweaker option presented to ya.

most DDR3 ram is shipped in the 3 dimm packages so that builders can use the triple channel mode of the mobo. ensure you have your ram slotted correctly to take advantage of this mode (same colored coded slots in 6 dimm). your mobo is a bit different IIRC

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7bull View Post
Hah! I made the mistake of pushing the install everything button on that $%$#@ Gigabyte driver CD....didn't mean to...and after a minute or so it froze my whole system. I tried rebooting (6 or 7 times) but every time I got back into Windows, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. I tried every setting in the BIOS (which, of course, worked fine) no dice...ended up having to reinstall XP. Not a huge deal because I had just finished the build but I DEFINITELY learned my lesson about motherboard CDs. Into the circular file with 'em!!

Andy B
probably need to update page 1 with info on this. definitely is a no-no as Key said!!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
probably need to update page 1 with info on this. definitely is a no-no as Key said!!
Yeahppp

WDUP MC

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 09-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yeahppp

WDUP MC
yo Key!!! gonna hit ya up later brah. gotta make a few runs shortly

Old 09-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
yo Key!!! gonna hit ya up later brah. gotta make a few runs shortly
koolz...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Nice....

You DO need to install the drivers from the CD to get started and then go to Gigabyte website to get latest BIOS and drivers....

Still no answer on which version of BIOS is best for PT LE 8 on the Rev 1.6 Gigabyte mobo....????
Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Really guys; This thread of course is about building i7's & such forth but some of u are wanting to be handed the Gold Medal without even breaking off the starting line.. We all @ the beginning did our on work on these babies & posted/posting as much info as we can but we can't just spoon-feed for lack of a better word... I guarantee everything asked is somewhere in hear & if some of ya'll pay attn, some of the earlier guys who built are starting to not answer anything which is the way of not answering without getting smart & then getting a smart comment back after trying to help ones who want it NOW if u know what I mean...Just Sayin

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY