Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2016, 07:38 AM

Default Re: What next?

Sure, 20 years ago MIDI track sharing was mainstream, but that is not what this Avid CC is all about. You can obviously share audio, but also make changes to the mixer and freeze/commit tracks and whatever. Basically anything you do on a regular PT session, except groups and VCA's and few other things. A whole different story...
Old 04-02-2016, 07:43 AM

What next is a more than fair question. My sense is that only a minority will be interested in the cloud collaboration (and yes other alternatives do exist). But now it's here, I can't remember of anything new that Avid have teased. The past 2-3 years have all been about "track freeze is coming, collaboration is coming". So.... well, now what? What exactly will my $399 HD subs bring me?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... You can obviously share audio, but also make changes to the mixer and freeze/commit tracks and whatever. Basically anything you do on a regular PT session, except groups and VCA's and few other things.
you can do all that by uploading your entire session to a G-Drive where you get 15GB for free and unlimited bandwidth, and use ichat to communicate for free. share passwords with your colleague and you have beaten "cloud collaboration" without paying a dime or subscribing to anything.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:52 AM

It's not cynical that you think the collaboration is just another revenue stream. They are doing it very openly, it's a very public strategy that Avid has put out to their stockholders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
The cynic in me says it's just another way of Avid trying to increase their revenue by becoming cloud storage hosts. http://www.avid.com/en/avid-cloud-co...-tools/pricing

Nothing wrong with that of course from a business point of view, but kind of annoying if this takes priority over improving or creating new audio/editing related features.

Can't say it's really for me. I've been mixing for international clients for years using yousendit /Hightail / wetransfer etc, without having to get on any planes, or indeed even leave my studio.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfader View Post
you can do all that by uploading your entire session to a G-Drive where you get 15GB for free and unlimited bandwidth, and use ichat to communicate for free. share passwords with your colleague and you have beaten "cloud collaboration" without paying a dime or subscribing to anything.
Yes you could have done that for a long time, but it's a far cry from what this current CC offers.

Say you have a project going, you bounce your project and send that one stereo mix to someone you think could help you with the project. He has it, can play with it in own place, then send something useful for you. All the time if you have chat window open and do it at the same time, the another persons changes get to your session almost realtime. Then discuss, make another change, discuss, another change, etc.

We have shared almost anything over internet since 60's but this collaboration thing is something very useful.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 AM

"almost realtime" the key phrase. "almost".

you can do the same thing with a G-Drive account.

always mark your session with a version # (ie v1.0, v1.1, etc) and keep a changelog.
drag and drop the updated new session to the G-Drive, along with any new audio file (if required).
ichat with audio, video, text, even drag and drop files directly in the ichat window to immediately transfer them.

and it's "almost realtime".

as i said.

free.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:13 AM

My guess is that for Avid's target market the cost is not a big issue. If the composer is working on a movie soundtrack and wants input from, for example, the director, every bit of flexibility and integration is worth the money. For the average musician, it's not cost effective unless you do regular collaboration.

It remains to be seen if this will make money for Avid, but they have put a lot of resources into it (while lowering the priority of other features) so they are betting quite a bit on it succeeding.

It's all but useless to me, but I'm not a member of their target market.

Quote:

always mark your session with a version # (ie v1.0, v1.1, etc) and keep a changelog.
drag and drop the updated new session to the G-Drive, along with any new audio file (if required).
ichat with audio, video, text, even drag and drop files directly in the ichat window to immediately transfer them.

as i said.

free.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
It's all but useless to me, but I'm not a member of their target market.
Who actually is their target market?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:

as i said.

free.
I hear you, but it's not the same.

I need to save a session, let another person open it, make the changes, then the other person save and close a session, then download it, listen to it...

With this CC I can see when a my session blinks and someone has made a change, even if I was listening to and tweaking the session myself. These things happen SIMULTANEIUSLY and it is a game changer
Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I hear you, but it's not the same.

I need to save a session, let another person open it, make the changes, then the other person save and close a session, then download it, listen to it...

With this CC I can see when a my session blinks and someone has made a change, even if I was listening to and tweaking the session myself. These things happen SIMULTANEIUSLY and it is a game changer
sound like a cluster%*#^ in the making. yeah right. 2 people making potentially conflicting changes at the same time.

really useful.