Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Audio Drive (Journaled)???

Hey All,

I see that DIGI now recommends that you format your audio drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). What benefits does this have as opposed to formatting the audio drive to Mac OS Extended. What are the pros and cons if any to having the audio drive Journaled?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Audio Drive (Journaled)???

speed

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-27-2006, 03:12 PM

Thanks,

Anyone else care to comment???
Old 06-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Anyone else Please???
Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 PM

Journaling increases the likelihood of the disk being usable after a bad system crash, and has a negligible performance cost.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:13 PM

Meaning slightly slower disk performance?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 11:40 PM

As far as I understand the journalling keeps extra records when files are created and written (end of writing), which means slightly slower saving of sessions (possibly a few milliseconds per save) and creating fades.

When a session is already open and few files are being created - as in usual editing or mixing where the audio files already exist on disk - there should be neglibigle performance loss. When recording there might be a few milliseconds of extra disc work to write to the journal when you press record and when you press stop, but should be virtually no difference whilst recording is going since the new audio files have been created and disk space has been allocated.

I'm sure there are apple Tech Notes about the performance of Journaling vs not. I think the general consensus is that the better data security with journaling is well worth the small performance hit.

I expect that actual track playback counts on identical drives (one journaled, the other not) would be identical.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 PM

Thanks Matt,

That was the type of answer I was looking for. And what I would expect in the Audio Drive Performance. This is funny because when I spoke to a DIGI Tech today, they claimed the Audio Drive would actually run faster!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 PM

To add a bit to what Matt said, the system keeps a "journal" of every write action which includes an open, and finish category. This way, if your system crashes while writing data to the hard drive, the system can go back and look at the journal and essentially undo any unfinished commands, reverting your drive to it's pre existing state. An un journaled drive has the possibility of becoming unstable during a crash, say if it was during a write command to the directory etc... The amount of info written in the journal is very very small. I can't speak on performance of journaled vs. unjournaled details, except that I've never noticed a difference.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:25 AM

If Digi wants Journaled, I wouldn't stray from that. The very small performance gain you'll achieve wouldn't be worth the increased instability and less likelyhood of a recovery after a crash. As far as I know, journaling is basically a handshake to confirm to the OS what actions are taking place and acknowledging them. Its essentially required for all Pro Tools version written for Tiger. I personally experience 7.0 crashing more often until I reformatted with Journaled ON. Then the issues disappeared.

But its always up to you.