Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2000, 04:15 PM

Default Re: PT5 / Studio Vision Pro feature request

Skytouch. Aren't there midi plug-ins coming? Add that to support of Vision file heirarchy.
Old 02-12-2000, 05:07 PM

I don't think you'll ever see this.

First of all, wouldn't Gibson have to give access to Opcode code? I don't think that will happen.

Beyond this, the architecture of SVP is much more complex than that of PT. There's no way to express subsequence nesting in PT, or deal with subsequences following multiple tempo maps. There's no way in PT to have multiple sequences open at the same time. Also, SVP's audio pointing is more complex (capable of dealing with appended audio files).

In short, I don't think there's any way to get there from here (even if Gibson gave Digidesign the permission to do it).

If you need to switch, start doing all your new projects in PT. Do you really need to get back to all your SVP files? Finish those projects, and be done with them if you can.

If there are things that you will need to access a long ways into the future (when SVP may no longer work with your newer hardware), save the breakouts from those sessions as contiguous audio files starting from a common point.

Actually, that's really the only long term solution no matter what hardware/software you're using. It's only a matter of time before anything/everything we're using is obsolete. In the not too distant future, you may not be able to access or run all the applications, extensions, plug-ins, etc. needed to recreate a mix from any proprietary midi/audio sequencing application.

Lee Blaske
Old 02-12-2000, 07:20 PM

Everyone:
We need an Audio MIDI Sequencer Standard. For web collaborations and/or conversions back and forth. Write to your MIDI slinger of choice.

p.s. we can live without subsequences or multiple tempo maps.

Sincerely,
21st Century DAWg
Old 02-12-2000, 09:15 PM

I think Lee is right. Say bye to SVPro. Finish up your projects in SVPro, start working all new projects in ProTools, or another sequencer (Logic seems to be the most poplular for ProTools users. I switched from SVPro to Digital Performer a couple of years ago and never regretted it.)

An Audio/MIDI sequencer standard would be great, kind of an OMF/Standard MIDI thing. But I can't imagine it ever coming together. There is too much competition between these companies now for them to work together. Besides OMF is hard enough to get to work by itself let alone throwing MIDI into it.

For important SVPro files that you want to keep in raw unmixed form, you should make stripes of all the tracks. Contiguous SDII files with no edits, and a sync beep at the top. Then line them up in ProTools, or other Audio sequencer and import the MIDI data.

(Oops, I just re-read my post and realized that I repeated Lee's advice.)

------------------
Chris Knight
nyc

[This message has been edited by cknight (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old 02-13-2000, 12:22 AM

Default PT5 / Studio Vision Pro feature request

I am currently a 24/MIX PT5 owner and also use Opcode Studio Vision Pro 4.x in my production system. You are probably aware of current and future support issues with Opcode software. My biggest concern is to preserve file format compatibility between my archived SVP files and the Digidesign Pro Tools platform.

Is Digidesign considering adding SVP file translation capability into Pro Tools 5.x and beyond? If so, this would enable me to move off the Studio Vision platform and take full advantage of the new MIDI functionality in Pro Tools 5. I would miss certain SVP features, but frankly, my biggest requirement is to be able to open a SVP file in Pro Tools and have linear MIDI and digital audio track placement preserved. In the case of subsequences used in the SVP file, it would be acceptable for Pro Tools to flatten these out and render them as linear tracks during File Open. (Preserving subsequences and other deep SVP features would be nice, but it's not a must-have.)

I currently run Pro Tools on the Mac platform (9500), but am interested in the possible addition of these features on both Mac and Win platforms.

Please let me know if I have sent this feature request to the right place, or who else I should contact.

Thanks sincerely.

Mac Studio M2 Max 12/30/64GB/4TB, RME UFX III, Pro Tools Ultimate, MacOS Ventura.
Old 02-13-2000, 08:41 AM

Shaggy wrote:

>p.s. we can live without subsequences or multiple tempo maps.

Please speak for yourself. Consider the fact that the needs of other people might be a bit more demanding than yours.

At this point in time, if a new standard is to be forged, it should be powerful enough to serve everybody. There's no reason why it shouldn't.

Lee Blaske

Old 02-13-2000, 09:00 AM

Gibson continues the saga of the midi guitar. Grossly exagerated marketing figures in the first place. And Audio-to-midi was too good to pass up. We all need to be aware how fragile our little nitch here is in the big scheme of things.

Standard: Lee you are right. Don Buchla had high-speed MIDI running on Thunder when Opcode was dreaming up OMS. He was right. As you are now.

It should encompass everyone's needs and more.

p.s. As a polyrhythm 'nut' it was not so easy to give up.

[This message has been edited by shaggy (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old 02-13-2000, 02:11 PM

Skydog, that's all well and good. But unless you are going to use the same hardware and software versions for ever, it looks like you will have to switch software sooner or later. I don't know that even if Gibson or another company gets SVPro going again they can rebuild their marketshare.

A standard would be wonderful for all audio/midi sequencer users, I just don't see it happening.

------------------
Chris Knight
nyc
Old 02-14-2000, 12:39 AM

I use SVP cuz its powerful and stable. Work gets done quick and easy.