How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2023, 09:58 AM

Default Pro Tools Hardware Requirements

This may be a naive question …

I've been running Pro Tools 8 HD on a Mac Pro 1,1 (OS10.6.8) for a good many years without trouble. However, I'm considering taking advantage of a deal for PT Studio Perpetual (running on a Mac Pro 5,1 under Big Slur). I feel that I'm seeing conflicting information about hardware requirements.

I don't really need more than the ability to mix down to stereo from possibly 48 tracks with numerous plugins – mostly Altiverb, RX10 and Waves.

I know that I can use a regular, compliant USB interface. However, some sources imply that PT also needs either a PCIe card/chassis or a Thunderbolt interface. Are these simply to provide more DSP, and if so, are they likely to be necessary?

Thank you for any guidance.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Pro Tools Hardware Requirements

From the Learn & Support link at the top of the forum ->
Pro Tools System Requirements and Compatibility

Quote:
I know that I can use a regular, compliant USB interface.
Yes, but if you are using a Mac, or Windows with a compatible sound card, an external interface is not required. Pro Tools will work with Mac core audio or Windows ASIO.

Quote:
However, some sources imply that PT also needs either a PCIe card/chassis or a Thunderbolt interface.
Not unless you are using Pro Tools HD/HDX plug-ins. If you have compatible AAX Native versions of any HD/HDX plug-ins that you may own, neither a PCIe card or Thunderbolt interface are required.

Quote:
Are these simply to provide more DSP, and if so, are they likely to be necessary?
Not for your purposes as stated. There may be situations where you have more complex sessions where you might want additional hardware, but probably not for a 48 track mix down to stereo. At least in my opinion based on your questions. You will definitely need to check compatibility for each of your plug-ins with your Mac OS version and whether you use an Intel or newer Apple Silicon Mac. Check the AAX Plug-ins for more information on that issue.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roderickelms View Post
This may be a naive question …

I've been running Pro Tools 8 HD on a Mac Pro 1,1 (OS10.6.8) for a good many years without trouble. However, I'm considering taking advantage of a deal for PT Studio Perpetual (running on a Mac Pro 5,1 under Big Slur). I feel that I'm seeing conflicting information about hardware requirements.

I don't really need more than the ability to mix down to stereo from possibly 48 tracks with numerous plugins – mostly Altiverb, RX10 and Waves.
Pro Tools Perpetual license costs here are the least of your issues, I would not be making any decision driven by any *deal*. I personally would whoever really not want to be on things as old as Pro Tools 8 vs. the capabilities in modern versions of Pro Tools (and for me, I'd happily move to native (what I use), vs TDM/HDX).

Quote:
I know that I can use a regular, compliant USB interface. However, some sources imply that PT also needs either a PCIe card/chassis or a Thunderbolt interface. Are these simply to provide more DSP, and if so, are they likely to be necessary?
You need a Thunderbolt card only if you are looking at Thunderbolt interfaces, and practically there are no Thunderbolt cards for mere morals to use in the 5,1 so go look for USB interfaces.

Why would you need a PCIe expansion chassis if you have a Mac 5,1? It's got the PCIe slots build it-you might have to (and will ultimately want to) remove the TDM cards. And given you can't practically add Thunderbolt to a 5,1 classic cheesegrater you can't add a Thunderbolt expansion chassis anyhow. But just make it easy on yourself and get a USB interface (my bias/preference is for RME gear in large part because of the quality of their USB drivers).

What you give up on Pro Tools Studio (or any version of Pro Tools after 10 HD) is all TDM/DSP processing capability. You also cannot say add a HD native card to the Mac Pro 5,1 and run that with PT Studio, at a minimum you would need a HD Native card and Pro Tools Ultimate to be able to talk to your existing Digilink I/O boxes. If you or your artist talent are absolutely in love with monitoring through TDM plugins while tracking a native DAW may not be what you want. Native tracking works for many folks. Only you and yoru talent can decide.

If you want to set up a modern Pro Tools system using the Mac Pro 5,1 hopefully you have already done things like upgrade boot PROMS, increase memory, maybe upgrade HDD to NVMe SSDs or at least SATA SSD etc. All this stuff is described on DUC lots in the past with pointers to more info online. Use google search with a site:duc.avid.com qualifier

If I really wanted to keep a Mac Pro 5,1 what I'd do is update the computer into a more modern setup if not done already (e.g. PROMS, memory and SSD) (while trying to make sure you don't break PT-8 HD). And then install Big Sur on a new boot volume, maybe add another SSD and install the free Pro Tools Intro and get everything working, adding the plugins you need etc. (you need to find AAX plugins for all your current RTAS and TDM plugins, that may require you to upgrade plugin licenses, and in some rare cases you might lose a plugin an need to find an alternative).

But a modem Apple Silicon Mac will significantly outperform the 5,1 and we are likely not too far away from Intel Macs no longer begin supported with macOS and application updates, so is spending money on the old Mac Pro worth it vs. say buying a new Apple Silicon Mac? And then the transition is pretty easy, you don't touch the 5,1 and it just keeps working while you set up the new system. Don't let the 5,1 sitting in front of you (or worse, a license "deal") be the tail wagging the dog, think through the options, time it takes to do stuff, risks, and costs (including potentially selling off the Mac Pro and HD gear as a working system-you likely won't get a lot for it, but you'll get something) carefully.
Old 11-21-2023, 01:10 PM

Thank you both for your thoughts and time. This particular Mac Pro is fully updated, so that's not an immediate issue. Finding the money to buy a newer model might well be! Although I've given this quite a bit of thought, hearing some of that thinking presented again with such clarity gives me further reason to be cautious – I greatly appreciate your comments.
Old 11-21-2023, 01:46 PM

Look I love the 5,1 as much as the next guy or gal. If say I had a commercial reliance on tracking rooms with TDM I'd be keeping a set of ready to go spare cheesegraters set up with TDM cards.

If you have it updated and it's working OK then your best option might just be to play and see,for now. No artificial pressure on yourself to upgrade. e.g. install a more recent macOS version on a new boot volume and install Pro Tools Intro on that and just play. It's got some significant limits but easily enough to play around with... and you get to see the state of current plugins, it can run all the AAX plugins all other versions can (well without surround sound/atmos support).

You can just use stereo playback through the Mac built-in audio device as Bruce mentioned, or you can purchase a low-cost audio interface for now, like a UAD Volt or Focusrite 2i2 or similar. Getting an external USB interface will let you play with tracking though a native DAW and see if that and/or hardware monitoring in the interface will work for you.

And if you do want advice on more capable USB interfaces in future describe all the inputs, preamps, digital connections needed, and what your budget is and folks here can make suggestions.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:11 PM

Yes, don't spend money on that old crap anymore. Really not worth it.

Base model M1 Mac Mini runs circles around it even if it is memory limited. Wait until you can buy a nice modern ARM box which can connect to nice TB interface and offers very fast internal storage together with -again- possibility to connect external TB drives. And TB chassis if you really need modern PCIe cards such as HDX.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Look I love the 5,1 as much as the next guy or gal. If say I had a commercial reliance on tracking rooms with TDM I'd be keeping a set of ready to go spare cheesegraters set up with TDM cards.

If you have it updated and it's working OK then your best option might just be to play and see,for now. No artificial pressure on yourself to upgrade. e.g. install a more recent macOS version on a new boot volume and install Pro Tools Intro on that and just play. It's got some significant limits but easily enough to play around with... and you get to see the state of current plugins, it can run all the AAX plugins all other versions can (well without surround sound/atmos support).

You can just use stereo playback through the Mac built-in audio device as Bruce mentioned, or you can purchase a low-cost audio interface for now, like a UAD Volt or Focusrite 2i2 or similar. Getting an external USB interface will let you play with tracking though a native DAW and see if that and/or hardware monitoring in the interface will work for you.

And if you do want advice on more capable USB interfaces in future describe all the inputs, preamps, digital connections needed, and what your budget is and folks here can make suggestions.
I already have an extra drive with Monterey installed and plan to try the one-month trial of PT to see how it goes. No shortage of USB interfaces in the studio, including RME which I love.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, don't spend money on that old crap anymore. Really not worth it.

Base model M1 Mac Mini runs circles around it even if it is memory limited. Wait until you can buy a nice modern ARM box which can connect to nice TB interface and offers very fast internal storage together with -again- possibility to connect external TB drives. And TB chassis if you really need modern PCIe cards such as HDX.
Whilst I take your point about speed etc, I would resist the temptation to describe my current setup as 'crap'. I'm currently editing a new symphonic album – 48 tracks of 96/24 with many plugins – it's working flawlessly. I'm simply curious about a few features now available in PT such as bouncing individual tracks using the written automation.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:31 AM

Sorry, but I am not polishing turd here.

I also have two said crap systems with HD3 cards. Difference in everything is beyond huge once you get a new ARM mac.

Oops, that was partly inaccurate. One of them is Intel macpro4.1 (PT10) and another is G5 powermac9.1 (PT8). Still, the mixing power comes from the TDM cards.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:47 AM

Fair enough – I'm just surprised at the language in such a forum – especially from the moderator.
My older system works brilliantly for what I need, so I wouldn't chastise it like this, and I don't find it helpful to have one's trusted system criticised in these terms. If your needs are greater, and you have the money, then you will clearly be in a position to appreciate the advanatages of your newer system.