Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I myself would not count on CPTK deal being available after 2014

I wouldn't either. The le/mp upgrades are only available through the end of the year. The only ones I've seen stated will be through next year is for those already on pt11.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I think the writing is on the wall already...
Indeed, but personally I don't see it as imminent.

Avid aren't fools (really they're not). They know PT11 is only just becoming usable (my initial experience is usable but still not as rock solid as 10). They want as many people on the subs program as they can. They've only just started a campaign to lure in those still on PT9+CPTK with new financial inducements after all. So I think they'll drag it out for another year as more serious users are tempted to trade up to 11 as they see its safe.

You can't even use the "by end of Q4" financial meltdown argument, because if that were true they'd be shouting about the deadline from the rooftops rather than have CPTK owners with their hands in their pockets thinking they've got over a year to decide.

Of course I could eat my words, wouldn't be the first time - just seems unlikely to me.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
How many of us were using PT back then?
Sound tools with DAT I/O interface for me in 1991.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Sound tools with DAT I/O interface for me in 1991.
WOW hehe

I was 6 y/o and played with Dinky Toys and Electric Race cars then

I hadn't even started to take music into my heart.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-20-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Just make sure you know when to sell. As I'm sure you're well aware, you can be up 50% one day and down 60% the next playing the share-market. I'll be impressed when you walk out with your 33.42% profit.... but I suspect greed will keep you in for a while yet....so good luck.
I always put stops in...because I'm never greedy.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I was 6 y/o and played with Dinky Toys and Electric Race cars then
Dude!! Sorry to hear that! You missed the best time to grow up IMO!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Indeed, but personally I don't see it as imminent.

You can't even use the "by end of Q4" financial meltdown argument, because if that were true they'd be shouting about the deadline from the rooftops rather than have CPTK owners with their hands in their pockets thinking they've got over a year to decide.

Of course I could eat my words, wouldn't be the first time - just seems unlikely to me.
I think the volume of all those PT LE and MP and EXPRESS and I don't know what wanting PT11 right now - is such volumes and potential that is covers Q4 - or hope they do. Each at least $199 and maybe some go all the way to HD with $599.

I think most of this - right now - is about Q4. Check reports coming mids january - probably Q3 and Q4 at the same time. Then it all makes sense why it all happend.

Then they felt they had to go with current version owners and give som slac over 2015. Hardware upgraders with Avid products can also wait over 2015 as I read it - but hopes are large majority wanted PT11 for long time. And those with this other brand(don't remember name) has to go with Dec 20th this year if to go with this offer.

January will tell if Q4 succeded - if report is there it was good enough to get relisted ot Nasdaq - or they stall this until expectations are good from investor perspective. And it will also tell how deep dive Q3 was to take on this new policy.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Hello. I was just reading this article that outlines that the company already has 3,200 subscribers to Media Composer. Subscriptions. Also, in a blog on the Avid media Composer blog site, there is an article from a few days ago on Nov 18th that lays out all the pertinent information regarding the options for Media Composer.

A lot of that info was out there already I believe and I may have missed some of the fine details. In any case, they clearly lay out that for Media Composer there will basically be two main roads to follow, subscription or perpetual license with a support plan.

Here's the main quote from that blog
Quote:
If you want to upgrade your Media Composer | Software to the latest release, you have three options:
  1. Buy one year of Avid Support for your Perpetual License
  2. Convert your license to a Floating License and buy Avid Support for it
  3. Convert your license to a Subscription
The Floating License option is only if you have multiple licenses. So it's basically down to subscription or perpetual license with support.

This is all Media Composer but I think we all agree Pro Tools is probably headed down that way. What hasn't changed in our situation regarding Pro Tools is that we still don't know what the price points will be for lapsed subscription or support plan licenses. The Media Composer folks do know.

In any case, I don't know if 3,200 subscriptions is a lot, but it sounds like it should be a good starting point at the least. Time will tell how it shakes out in Pro Tools but I imagine it'll be similar.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/11/a...q_v=9efbdbed58

http://www.avidblogs.com/media-compo...q_v=9efbdbed58
Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post
Hello. I was just reading this article that outlines that the company already has 3,200 subscribers to Media Composer. Subscriptions. Also, in a blog on the Avid media Composer blog site, there is an article from a few days ago on Nov 18th that lays out all the pertinent information regarding the options for Media Composer.

A lot of that info was out there already I believe and I may have missed some of the fine details. In any case, they clearly lay out that for Media Composer there will basically be two main roads to follow, subscription or perpetual license with a support plan.

Here's the main quote from that blog The Floating License option is only if you have multiple licenses. So it's basically down to subscription or perpetual license with support.

This is all Media Composer but I think we all agree Pro Tools is probably headed down that way. What hasn't changed in our situation regarding Pro Tools is that we still don't know what the price points will be for lapsed subscription or support plan licenses. The Media Composer folks do know.

In any case, I don't know if 3,200 subscriptions is a lot, but it sounds like it should be a good starting point at the least. Time will tell how it shakes out in Pro Tools but I imagine it'll be similar.

http://www.avidblogs.com/media-compo...q_v=9efbdbed58
Wow. Avid seems really happy with the figures - and it seems reflected in the stock price - but I'm gobsmacked they're so low. 3,200, with only 5 business weeks before everyone's licenses are not upgradeable?! The bigger broadcasters will have literally hundreds of licenses. Add that up round the world. Then add in the film sector, and the freelancers. Then the corporate world, and the independent facilities, the production companies, the independent filmmakers and hobbyists.

3,200?!!!! REALLY?!!!

Whoa.

But (not for the first time today, I say) what do I know...

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Wow. Avid seems really happy with the figures - and it seems reflected in the stock price - but I'm gobsmacked they're so low. 3,200, with only 5 business weeks before everyone's licenses are not upgradeable?! The bigger broadcasters will have literally hundreds of licenses. Add that up round the world. Then add in the film sector, and the freelancers. Then the corporate world, and the independent facilities, the production companies, the independent filmmakers and hobbyists.

3,200?!!!! REALLY?!!!

Whoa.

It's not so bad if this were a company being run from somebody's garage. Then again, a few people from this conversation will quickly remind you that this isn't a software company, but a hardware company that happens to sell software. If the case, then it's curious why they don't just give the software and upgrades for free to those willing to invest $20,000 - $30,000 on their exclusive hardware. Of course, that famous line from Gordon Gekko then comes to mind... However, the software is important to them or they wouldn't be counting on every last penny from anyone with a penny left to spare.

Quote:
"These cloud and subscription users largely represent new customers from the individual professional and creative enthusiast market, one we had previously failed to successfully penetrate," Hernandez said.*
*Quote from: http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/11/a...q_v=9efbdbed58
Closed Thread