Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Default running multiple midi controllers

I have protools 10 with a 3rd gen mbox running into an imac on mountain lion. I have native instruments' Komplete 8 and the standard plugins with pt10.What's the best way to set up the I/O in protools 10 for simultaneous controls of virtual instruments using my vdrums daisy chained to a midi keyboard (midi thru on) to the midi in of the xbox and an axiompro61 hyper controlled connected via usb to the imac? I'd like to keep the midi keyboard as a dedicated piano and use the axiom for synth plugins. The vdrums I would like to keep it filtered to play studio drummer and abby road drums. Ultimately if the processor holds up I'll record live with my band members also using the audio in to the mbox for bass and guitar through guitar rig 5 plug ins. One of the problems I'm running into just with the keyboards is when selecting an instrument track, both keyboards control the same plugin. I want to set multiple tracks to record and keep all input devices on separate tracks. I'm not sure if I have midi studio correctly setup. There must be a genius out there who knows how to do this.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 AM

Default Re: running multiple midi controllers

I just posted with a similar issue. The quick fix for me was putting each Instrument/VI track into "record". I have two VIs on their own Instrument track, V-Drums as one controller(BFD 2) and an M-Audio 49 Keystation(DB-33) on the other. Just "shift-click" Record for each Instrument track and that should take care of it.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks Armando it did help some. I did arm both tracks and was able to play each VI with it's assigned input controller simultaneously. But when recording, it only records the midi notes from the keyboard using the midi cable. The Axiom ,via usb, didn't record. Another interesting thing is when arming the tracks, I have to arm the Axiom first then the midi keyboard second otherwise it assigns the instrument of the midi keyboard to both keyboards. I also have assigned each keyboard it's own midi channel and matched that to the instruments just to make sure each is isolated. I bought the axiom to use the hyper-controls and to also have a decent controller aside from the Casio CDP-100 I'm using for the piano weighted keyboard. I have yet to add my v-drums to the mix. I'm still open for a solution. Thank you Armando for the reply.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 AM

No problem. Do you have the Preferences/Midi setting where you choose the default instrument as "None"? If not you might try that to see if it helps. I'm not at my system right now or I could check how I set it up.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 AM

I use a Novation Launchkey via USB, and i use a Roland PC200 through the midi in on my 003r. Have worked this way since the novation launchkey came out.

I have a Phatboy that i use to VI control knobs and such and it is daisy chained midi from the PC 200 to the 003r.

I have the Novation set up as a HUI, and the PC 200 just as a midi keyboard. Did you setup the Axiom that way?

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 AM

Have you tried using a MIDI USB interface (around 50.00 bucks at Guitar Center) that will patch up to four instruments through a single USB port? Might solve your issues
Old 10-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Have you tried using a MIDI USB interface (around 50.00 bucks at Guitar Center) that will patch up to four instruments through a single USB port? Might solve your issues
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks Chris "I have the Novation set up as a HUI, and the PC 200 just as a midi keyboard. Did you setup the Axiom that way?" I have my axiom connected via usb and using the hyper-controls too. The casio I want to use as a piano because of the weighted keyboard. So to answer your question I think yes.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM

Thanks 007, I have an old midisport 8x8 laying around I haven't tried using it in the setup. I'm not sure what that will do to the hyper-controls of the axiom. Does anyone know if I connect the casio midi out to the axiom midi in with midi thru on and then just use the usb from the axiom as the one input to the computer via usb, how that could work? Could I then separate the keyboards to different tracks and record/arm both on separate tracks?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 AM

Sounds like you just need to assign different channels to each controller, and make sure the Axiom is set up to allow MIDI input. I don't have an Axiom, but to allow the MIDI IN port to pass through to USB I had to change a control setting with my older, less-feature-rich M-Audio keyboard.