Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Question Help! Can this computer run Pro Tools?

Hello, Im new here and I just recently bought a Digi 003 rack to find out my computers processor will not work with PT.... so im looking for a comp that will handle PT. After buying the rack im on a tight budget now. So if found this comp in the paper for a reasonable price, but im not to sure if this AMD processor is compatable....

The PC is an:

ZT Affinity AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor 945

It just needs a firewire card, and I belive im good to go....

here is the site to check it out, or more specs below http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...odid=11543945#

Processor & Memory:
AMD Phenom™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor 945 (3.0GHz)
AMD 780V / AMD SB700 chipset
8GB Memory
Drives:
1TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
22x DVD±RW Drive
Front Panel 19-in-1 digital multimedia card reader
Graphics & Monitor:
Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3100 graphics
Communications:
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Audio:
8-CH High-Definition Audio CODEC
Keyboard & Mouse:
USB Desktop Keyboard
Optical Mouse
Expandability (total bays/slots):
2 x 5.25" external (1x occupied)
1 x 3.5" external (1x occupied)
4 x 3.5" internal (1x occupied)
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI
Ports:
8 x USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 6 Rear)
1 x PS/2 port
6 x Audio ports
1x RJ45 Network Port
1 x DVI port
1 x VGA port
1 x DisplayPort
Operating System:
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

At a loss here since money is pretty tight nowadays, and input would be really apreciated, thank you.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Help! Can this computer run Pro Tools?

Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3100 graphics
This is likely a problem(but it may also be solveable by disabling the onboard video and adding a cheap ATI card with 256-512 mb. My nVidia 256 card cost me all of $37 and this computer has a PCIe x16 slot. You also MUST add a second hard drive for recording. The cheapest AND best performance will be adding a second internal SATA drive. Look for 7200 rpm and a good sized cache. WD Caviar BLACK are one of the best choices. AVOID any drive that uses the word "Green" in its title or description(you don't want power management on your audio drives). Make sure you get an approved firewire card with a TI chipset. When you get it all together, the installation needs to be done a certain way. First thing to do (don't turn on the interface yet, but you can connect it to the firewire port). Register your software with the card included in the package. That will get you an authorization code(you need it the first time you open Pro Tools. It will also get you access to downloadable updates and you need to download the 8.0.4 updater before starting the installation. Once you have all these things handy, run the installer from the disk that came with the 003(assuming its ver. 8). When the installer asks you to connect the hardware, DO NOTHING. Just click OK and the installer will finish. Reboot if asked. Then run the 8.0.4 updater. when the updater asks you to connect the hardware, turn ON the power switch, wait a few seconds and click on OK. If any pop-ups are seen, ignore them completely(don't click on them at all and they will go away). After another reboot, open Pro Tools and type the authorization code in the popup window(it takes a minute before that will show). The code will start with DIGI08.....and you need to type it in exactly as you see it, with spaces and lower case letters where they belong. Good luck

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Help! Can this computer run Pro Tools?

Thank you for your quick reply! That helps alot!!!