Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Quicktime jerky 8.0.3

Hummerz

SD Material: H.264, Photo JPG, DV25 looks good

HD Material: Photo JPG looks good, honorable mentiom to pro res, which seems fine but more picky when edit count goes up etc.

Rig thats in my sig plus intensity pro card

MKD Creative
Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 AM

also posted to your email address:

what's the best way to provide a video screen capture. I quickly searched the net and found and tried the free Copernicus on my Macbook Pro, but it doesn't work well.

Greetings,

Thierry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hello again!

I have a request from our engineering dept. to get video screen captures of the video stuttering to assist in our investigation, since we do not have a reliably reproducible case here (and, believe me, I've personally tested this on at least at least 8 different systems with different videos supplied by users on this thread).

If anyone has the time and capability, please post a link to a download of your screen capture video or email me a link to: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 AM

Please don't start a new thread as it is more difficult to follow everything then, but it would be interesting to hear all the Blackmagic card users' experience with this. Is playing HD video out of the PCIe via the Blackmagic card the only working solution right now (meaning no stutter). To describe more exactly, the stutter I'm seeing is a very repetitive interruption every second or so. It's like looking at a 24fps converted PAL playback tape, where you can see the stutter most clearly on camera pan and tilt movements.

Greetings,

Thierry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummerZ View Post
Maybe I should start a new thread, but I'm very interested in learning which configurations are working for quicktime playback via Blackmagic cards.

???

I see one working configuration in the previous post.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 AM

DV is a format that runs only at 25fps. that's why DV in 24fps will give a repeated frame every second, causing the stutter.
we have 4 studio's working with a blackmagic decklink extreme; 2x protools, 2x nuendo. it occurs on all of them.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 AM

what bothers me more is the fact that since OS10.6 and PT 8.0.3, DVPal gives only half of the vertical resolution, 1 field per frame actually. i unchecked the "remove field jitter when paused" in the decklink's settings, without luck. i then asked Blackmagic design for help, but their suggestions didn't work either (running decklink software 7.2.1, using interlaced DVPal instead of progressive because Decklink's Pal is only interlaced). they said it is known that protools is currently having issues with the DV format.
prores hq in SD-format works fine.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tools View Post
DV is a format that runs only at 25fps. that's why DV in 24fps will give a repeated frame every second, causing the stutter.
we have 4 studio's working with a blackmagic decklink extreme; 2x protools, 2x nuendo. it occurs on all of them.
I was only giving the 24fps PAL stutter as an example of what I'm seeing with 25fps native material.

Yesterday I did more tests with the Macbook Pro with PT8.0.3cs2
DV PAL QT played out of FW connected Canopus plays smoothly

The same DV PAL QT played on the desktop or with DVI port connected to HDMI in of projector doesn't play smoothly (stuttering). And I have tried putting display resolutions at 1280x720 and 720x576, both in 50 and 60Hz (just to test everything)

Over the last few months I've tried HD material in 1080 but mostly 720p in the following formats:
Photo JPEG, MJPEG A, prores, H264
and they all stutter, there has been not one situation where I got smooth QT playback with PT8.
And with all the above examples QT playback WAS ALWAYS smoothly when played with the Apple Quicktime application.

DTS asked if movies where edited in the PT timeline: never, all QT were always one big file.

QT playback within PT just isn't working smoothly

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 04-08-2010, 01:13 PM

I think, if you are using the Blackmagic card, there's no more reason to stay with QT DV as it is an inferior format anyways (but has the advantage of not using too much processing power and can be sent out the FW port).
If the video department can deliver you HD material it will definitely be nicer looking than DV.

Greetings,

Thierry

Quote:
what bothers me more is the fact that since OS10.6 and PT 8.0.3, DVPal gives only half of the vertical resolution, 1 field per frame actually. i unchecked the "remove field jitter when paused" in the decklink's settings, without luck. i then asked Blackmagic design for help, but their suggestions didn't work either (running decklink software 7.2.1, using interlaced DVPal instead of progressive because Decklink's Pal is only interlaced). they said it is known that protools is currently having issues with the DV format.
prores hq in SD-format works fine.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 AM

Hi all,

I contacted Techsupport to find an application that can do video screen captures, to help with their question below. Jing was suggested and I bought it, to be able to have the mp4 feature, but still the maximum framerate of Jing is 10fps (I checked this with their developer). So this is of no use to show the QT problem in PT. Apparently in OS10.6, QT can do video screen captures as well, but since I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to snow leopard, this is no option.
Btw what's the framerate of QT captures in 10.6?

Did anybody in this thread send a video screen capture to Techsupport?

Greetings,

Thierry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hello again!

I have a request from our engineering dept. to get video screen captures of the video stuttering to assist in our investigation, since we do not have a reliably reproducible case here (and, believe me, I've personally tested this on at least at least 8 different systems with different videos supplied by users on this thread).

If anyone has the time and capability, please post a link to a download of your screen capture video or email me a link to: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
This is semi-true. I use QT DV PAL running native 24fps all the time. The stutter only happens when you output the QT via Cannopus or other video-box because the QT is then viewed on a PAL screen.

On a TFT or whatever via VGA/DVI you can use native 24P DV PAL just fine. No stutter and you see true film-speed.

Frank.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 AM

Hi there,
I never had any video issues with SD like reported in this thread, so I tried to push my rather unsupported system a bit.
I was using 10.6.2 and 1080i/Apple ProRes.
Via my Intensity Pro (downscaled to PAL TV) playback was stuttering a little bit every 10sec. on the "mac" monitor no stutter at all.

So I chopped and shuffled the video around.

Now I experienced more stuttering via Intensity. no stutter via "mac" monitor.

Then I upgraded to 10.6.3.

The chopped-up video played smoothly via my Intensity...

...my guess, it's a Quicktime X issue...

I don't know if 10.6.3 supported by Digidesign, but it seems to work pretty well...

hope that helps a bit...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB