Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Weird USB issue after PT LE 7.4 install

This all started last year after setting up a new Multimedia lab on campus. I configured a Dell Precision T3400 with several multimedia software packages. I than made a ghost 8.0 image of this machine and cloned the remaining 24 PC's. I quickly notice after ghosting these machines that everyone had USB issues. If you would insert any thumb drive it would find it but than the "found new hardware wizard" would pop up asking if you want to connect to Windows update to search for software. I would click "no" and than the drive would be usable. If I clicked "cancel" the drive would NOT be usable. It should not be asking to install a driver for thumb drives.

I have no hardware faults in hardware devices. I have reinstalled the Dell T3400 chipset and system utility drivers and even talked to Dell about the problem.

I decided to make a complete new install on another T3400. Install Windows XP 32 bit from scratch and loaded all the T3400 drivers starting with the chipset and system utilities drivers. Tested the USB port with a thumbdrive before installing anything else and it worked fine. Installed Avid Media Composer and drivers for a Axiom 49 keyboard. Tested USB port with a different thumb drive and worked fine. Installed ProTools LE 7.4 with Mbox 2 attached. It installed the software and the drivers for the Mbox 2. Tested usb with a different thumbdrive and it see it but asks for the driver to install like it did in the 1st paragraph. Tried another thumb drive and the same thing happen. Tried these two thumb drives in a different model PC and they load fine without asking for drivers.

I'm at a loss. I removed Protools and the Mbox driver and still have the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim