Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2003, 03:22 PM

Default tips please : OSX AND OS9 HOW TO INSTALL/ FORMAT ?

I'm running an MDD 1.25 os9 bootable and want to install osx/os9 on different partitions.
How do I need to format my internal disk to have 2 OS independant partitions.?
I want to keep working with PTHD under os9, but like to play and get used to PT6 under osx.
Can I run my plugins with I lock on both systems ?

Any tips are welcome .
Old 09-06-2003, 03:48 PM

Default Re: tips please : OSX AND OS9 HOW TO INSTALL/ FORMAT ?

Basically, you simply need to install OSX and Classic OS9 and then simply drag the OS9 folder to a second partition which will be your OS9 boot disk. Obviously, if your system drive is not already partitioned, you're going to have to wipe it clean with the drive utility, reformat, partition the drive, then re-install everything from scratch.

Know what, though? At this point in time, unless you've got some very compelling reason to be using OS9 (e.g. important software that only works in OS9), I'd highly recommend forgetting about OS9, and go straight to OSX. Sure, it's tough love, sink or swim thinking, but if you go that route, I'll bet you'll be glad you did. Do a clean sweep of all your drives, and move on with the future. Leave the past behind.

People that think "oh, I'll just work in OS9 for now, and tinker around with OSX in my spare moments" are just kidding themselves. Sure, there are issues and things that you're going to have to learn about OSX. You're not going to discover them, however, if you take a namby-pamby approach and pussyfoot around - just dipping your big toe into the pool in a spare moment. You've got to roll up your sleeves, dig in, and commit.

A couple weeks ago, I finally switched my PT HD rig using Logic as a front end to OSX. It was a rough transition, and there was a lot to learn the hard way. i wouldn't have broached a lot of the issues, however, if I hadn't been using it "for real." If you're simply using PT as a front end for your hardware, it should be much easier.

Now that I've established a beach head, I am not going to retreat. No backsliding for me. I may be hanging on by my fingertips, but I've finished a lot of projects on the new system. There are bugs, but things are stable (i.e. no crashing).

Be brave. Don't be an OS9 wimp. Move forward with PT 6 and don't look back.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-06-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: tips please : OSX AND OS9 HOW TO INSTALL/ FORM

Quote:
How do I need to format my internal disk to have 2 OS independant partitions?
I would not recommend having 2 OS partitions. In the days of yore (10.0, 10.1), this was done. It still could be done. To do it, you'll need to boot from your OS X install CD, initialize your hard drive using Disk Utility, and install OS 9 drivers while specifying to create 2 paritions.

Apple shipped dual boot systems with both system folders on the same partition. I can speak from experience that having OS 9 and OS X on the same partition will cause no problems. OS 9 will not behave badly because OS X files are on the same drive and vice-versa.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Administrator

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/dual.cfm
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/session.cfm
Old 09-06-2003, 10:30 PM

digigirly-

My ilok worked fine on a dual boot system. One important thing to note is that repartitioning your drive will erase everything on it. You might want to install OSX on another drive. That way you won't have to reinstall all your software for OS9.

And as I mentioned in response to your other thread, I would go with a dual boot, and make sure all the software you use is happening in OSX before you do anything drastic like wipe OS9.

One interesting sidenote; if you hold down the option key during a restart or power up, icons of all bootable drives will come up, allowing you to choose which drive to boot from.

-Andy
Old 09-07-2003, 06:14 AM

I sort of agree and disagree with Lee (only slightly). Go with osx install it either on the same drive or on another. I instaled it ont he same drive as my os9 (basically created a folder called -----os9 ) dumped all the stuff i use in os9 in that folder thta way i could see at a glance what was osx files and what was os9. Majorly important to backup if you can before you do anything. Run osx and see if you need to go back i havent gone back ever since osx is a fine peice of os you hate having to go back to os9 believe me. good luck
Old 09-07-2003, 09:01 AM

I remember one thing. I've been in a situation that I've lost some authorizations (OS9.2.2)because I re-installed OSX on the other partition.

This is what I call "interactions" between two different OS's.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:50 AM

What maxserg describes is OS X's corruption of partition tables on HFS+ drives. Key disk authorizations are stored on hidden disk partitions, and OS X alters them in such a fashion that some plug-ins need reauthorization (say, AmpFarm as an example) and others will absolutely no longer work (Wave Mechanics UltraTools). Basically, it's best to have an iLok and avoid this headache, though there was much ranting about the iLok having its own problems.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:49 AM

Sorry to blatently jump in, Maxerg, but speaking of that situation (With SampleCell in particular...I just read the thread ironically) Would you happen to still have the email from tech support with the fix that kindof worked?

I am right in the middle of the exact same thing as you described, WITH Mach 5 troubles on top. You wait a year for something sometimes, even though it's carrying a bullet with your name the whole time...or something stupidly proverbial like that.

Anyway, let me know--thanks
[email protected]
Old 09-08-2003, 08:23 AM

I just installed OSX/PT6 ilok etc etc, on a *second hard drive* : great, no problems at all.

The iLok is mainly used in PT6, apart from the Serato plug which is now iLok only since its last update.

This is because I could not afford not to keep a working 5.1 configuration, mainly because of plugin compatibilities

Mark Haliday
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio