Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 11:39 AM

Default Patching in Hardware Inserts

Can anyone explain this to me simply. I'm having a huge time attempting to patch in my distressors for mixing.

Jon
Old 02-04-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Patching in Hardware Inserts

1. Assign your track's output to one of the hardware outputs on your interface, let's say output 8.

2. Patch interface output 8 to the input of the Distressor.

3. Patch the output of the Distressor to one of your interface inputs, let's say input 6.

4. Create an auxilliary input channel and set it's input to interface input 6. Use this channel to mix the output of the Distressor.

Be aware that this introduces a delay of a few samples (the exact delay is given in the PT manual). It shouldn't be a problem unless you're combining the pre- and post- Distressor signals, in which case you'll need a delay-compensation strategy.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 02-04-2003, 01:23 PM

Well shut my mouth. I can't believe I forgot about that. I think I've been in the box too long!
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 02-05-2003, 12:33 AM

While Davip's description will work, it's not the method described in the manual nor is real good practice for an insert (unless you needed to take many tracks through one insert).

According to the manual, when you assign an insert, you can choose i/o for that physical insert. The i/o needs to match. So... if you send your insert from out 2, it needs to come in via out 2 as well. Then the insert will automatically bring in the insert.

The method I mention above, keeps the insert pre-fader, like it's intended and doesn't use an additional aux input for play back. This will also keep in with the other inserts (i.e plugs).

All else fails, read your manual... it's pretty clear in there.

-t
Old 02-05-2003, 12:40 AM

tlester is right.. at the inserts where you normally insert a plug-in, below it is an I/O insert point.. select your I/O from the list. If you like, you can go into your I/O setup and label the I/O where you're connecting the distressor as Distr In and Out.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••