Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Does AAX support Midi output from plugins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
Yes, very useful like in Sonar and Cubase with plugin bays for midi plugins on midi and instrument tracks etc. And maybe provide a full set of the most common midi plugins features in the plugin set.

Transpose, various filtering and as you mentioned regular mapping like drummaps.

Want a velocity curve mapping, just insert plugin for that in bay on midi track and done.

When I get hands on later this week I can tell if Metaplugin and Patchwork runs. There I can load and route any number of midi plugins and VST synths instances as well.

Then add midi plugins as category to the www.avid.com/plugins listing.

Would simplify when there new such plugins. Quite surprised midi plugins did not exist in ProTools world, apart from CThulhu arpeggiator etc.

Avid having it's own plugin format might have advantages - but seems this midi plugin thingy in AAX is overlooked by the market.

So Avid - maybe a full useful set of midi plugins for AAX in PT?
And plugin bay insert slots on midi and instrument tracks?
Steinberg and Cakewalk both have these features.
I do remember the MIDI plugins bays in Sonar 8.3.1 but not all of the MIDI plugins worked right. The transpose one had major issues and wouldn't transpose like one wanted. Ended up doing transpose a totally different way.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
I don't know Cthulhu, so can't comment on that, but Drumagog is not a suitable analogy, at all. I use it, and it is fantastic at what it does.

But, it receives audio only, and generates midi through an audio to midi conversion process. It generates midi based on the position in time and velocity of incoming audio. The midi note number generated is predetermined by you.

It can only generate the specific note number that you have designated. So, although the analysis, filtering and threshold tools are very good at making sure midi is only generated by the specific audio hits you want, in effect it is only taking timing and volume of audio data to generate a fixed midi note with a velocity based on audio volume.

Not the same thing, at all. It cannot process incoming midi and manipulate that data, it's a totally different beast. The fact that it can host a VI and can trigger it directly is also fantastic, by the way. I love Drumagog to bits! But I want so,e real enhancement to the midi capabilities of PT!
But it actually can send MIDI through an internal port to another track in Pro Tools. Even if it's just one note, the functionality is there and shows that AAX plug-ins can indeed output MIDI. You're the one who first introduced me to that functionality, so I'm not telling you anything new.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM

Thanks for reminding me mesa ;-)

My mind was more focused on comments about midi fx that would manipulate incoming midi data and transform it into some other midi data.

Should've looked at the thread title .... I (and maybe others) drifted off topic.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-16-2014, 04:16 PM

On that note, I do believe Cthulhu has some of the functionality you're looking for. Maybe not all, but Pro Tools itself has MIDI filtering, and Blue Cat has a scripting plug that I believe can modify incoming MIDI