Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2000, 02:56 PM

Default Regions/files are dissappearing!!!

I was working on session and wanted to implement some audio files from an old backed up session to the new one. I loaded in the old backed up session and did some editing chopping and pasting and even deleting some files in it. When I then started up my ongoing session it started to ask for missing audiofiles.

After some examination they turned out to have the same names as the one's that I have deleted in my backuped session. Are you not allowed to have the same names on audiofiles but in different sessions or???

I'm using PT 4.3.2, OS 8.6 on a beige G3/266

------------------
Robert Uhlmann

[This message has been edited by Robert U (edited August 02, 2000).]
Old 08-03-2000, 10:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: Regions/files are dissappearing!!!

Pro Tools tries to prevent "confused session" scenario by using a simple file hierarchy:
Session Folder
--------->Session document
------------->Audio Files Folder
------------->Fade Files Folder

As long as this file structure is retained, I was unable to reproduce the behavior you mention when working with sessions that contain identical filenames.

I was however able to confuse one of the sessions when moving the 2nd session file into the folder containing the 1st session's Audio Files/Fade Files folder and trashing (from the Finder level) the 2nd session's audio files folder.

Although I did not try importing audiofiles into a session referencing files of the same name, I can see how this could as cause problems (i.e. the Mac OS won't let you put to 2 files containing the same name in one location, regardless of creator type). Therefore, you need to make sure that you either retain the original file tree that Pro Tools creates or make sure that no two files contain the same name.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Brent
Old 08-04-2000, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Regions/files are dissappearing!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Robert U:
I was working on session and wanted to implement some audio files from an old backed up session to the new one. I loaded in the old backed up session and did some editing chopping and pasting and even deleting some files in it. When I then started up my ongoing session it started to ask for missing audiofiles.

After some examination they turned out to have the same names as the one's that I have deleted in my backuped session. Are you not allowed to have the same names on audiofiles but in different sessions or???

I'm using PT 4.3.2, OS 8.6 on a beige G3/266

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is probably because the "ongoing session" remembered where the backed-up files were rather than the files you intended to be working with. You might try unmounting the back-up and then pointing Pro Tools at the first "missing" file (which isn't really missing, right?) Then Pro Tools should be able to find all the rest.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering