Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Full Service Studio: centered around the 001? Can it be done?

Do you think it's possible? I'm considering investing a lot of money in the construction of a full fledged studio. Well, a complete studio consisting of a live room and control room.

With the best in a monitor system for both the engineer and the musicians, giving enough flexibility to provide up to 6 monitor setups for the musicians alone. Processing by the most powerful Mac G4 to date, sidekicked for some of the popular Windows programs like Acid. Acoustically optimized walls and ceilings, the signal processing worthy up the name Avalon. A completely Mogami-wired studio providing 18 simulataneous inputs and 18 outputs. Recording at 24 bit, 48kHz, solid DVD quality. All you could want in room isolation and the mics to capture ther true professional sound. An assortment of outboard and plugin effects ranging from guitar pedals to guitar plugins, lexicon 24 bit reverb to digi's D-verb. And all this housed in quality Argosy consoles backed by a nice big black leather chair.

But can the 001 really serve as the central neurosystem for such a studio. Can it handle the stress of 18 ins, 18 outs, all that ourboard gear, and the pure quality of the digital realm. Can the 001 really serve this purpose?

I'm aware that I could buy a lot of I/O and a full TDM system, but that's not answering my question. Can the 001 really run a whole studio.

Cheers,
Andy [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Full Service Studio: centered around the 001? Can it be done?

no,,, in one word, latency.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 03-29-2003, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertDude:
no,,, in one word, latency.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I beg to differ.

While it's no HD system, the 001, if used properly in conjunction with other gear, can most certainly act as the main digital interface in such a setup. Latency is no stranger in the big TDM studios either. It happens, you learn how to deal with it and move on.

you're obviously not cutting any corners with this ambitious project, so I would recommend pairing the 001 with some great preamps, not to mention A/D and D/A converters. Looks like you've figured out the rest. Plan it right and you should be fine, imo.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:29 AM

The 001 CAN be used under Professional use.

But...
1. Convertors - You should use better ADDA hardware to achieve better sonic qualities. also clocking to 001 with one of those good ADDAs wuold also improve your quality.

2. Computer - Reliability, I know it's the Mac forum but PC & Mac (I have both with LE) are now stable (Still I like 5.2 rather than PT 6 which is yet to be truly stable).

If you need processing power until Apple & IBM won't reveal the G5s currently only PCs provide cutting edged performance.
Still if you need more plugins the Mac enviorment can offer more plugins variety.

Inputs limits...
The 001 is limited to 18 inputs and 8 of them are the internal convertors. I like the internal convertors but still they're not proffesional enough. if you recrod through them make it the least important link in the sound, I know people gonna hate me for that but for example a Kick Drum is an example of something that with right work and pre-convertor (pre,comp) can sound great with the 001s inputs.

The reason the TDM would provide more professional reliability is:
a. Hardware dedicated power (no cpu spikes or running out of power in the middle of the great take [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).
b. The option to choose the entire I/O interfaces.

c. "limitless" power and i/o with the require to change the entire system hardware (computer based and interface).

Still for low-budget projects I've used the 001 and it provided me a quality I'm happy for.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:34 AM

The Digi001, like an HD system, is really just the core interface and software. The true performance of any studio IS the front-end which includes the converters, mic-pres, mics, etc. The Digi001's converters are great for a home studio, but not that wonderful for a pro studio. However, the fact that you can get ProTools software and be 100% compatible with other studios for $799 is killer! AND because of the ADAT I/O, you can have an 8-ch Apogee, RME, Lucid, or whatever A/D D/A of your choice. THEN you have the same level of converters that a pro studio has. Okay, you won't have the same software engine but it's still going to sound nice.

Obviously, I design MANy studios both small and large and everything in between.... this is something that comes up ALL the time, do I get HD or do I get LE? My rule of thumb is to get an HD system with outboard gear, monitors, mics, etc that match this system well.... plan on about $40,000+. For about $10,000-$15,000... you can get yourself an INCREDIBLE Digi001/Digi002 rig with Apogee converters, Focusrite ISA mic pres, Neumann microphones, ADAM monitors, acoustical treatment, etc.

One of my clients has (3) ProTools MIX3 systems that he uses for sound design. You know those wacky effects you hear on the radio? Well, chances are they come from this guy.... he provides custom sound effects and spots to roughly 3,500 radio stations around the country. Well, he also has a "D" room that is used to record local groups and this is using a DIGI001 with APOGEE Converters and a couple of Motormix units.... the sound he's getting in there is GREAT! Another client of mine was a MAJOR rock band back in the 70's and 80's with a couple of huge hits and still tour and record today. I've not asked his permission to post this information so I won't mention their name, but they are still making records (okay, CD's now) today using a Digi001! I'm probably going to take some punches here, BUT I am a firm believer that a properly designed PC system that was built and designed from the ground up for digital audio (not just a computer built to use for audio) will give you a level of performance that a Macintosh can not at a price point that is very affordable. I design such a system and have tested the following results:

Intel P4 (Northwood!) 2.53GHZ w/512DDR RAM
Digi002 w/ONLY the included plugin bundle....

This was a live 20-track session plus (2) stereo tracks I recorded in Nuendo via a MOTU 24I/O and mixed on a Digi002 using only these plugins, all tracks were 24-bit.

(14) RenEQ's in mono (4band)
(2) RenEQ in stereo (6 band)
(14) RenComps in Mono
(2) RenComps in Stereo
(3) TrueVerbs in Stereo (yes, three!)
(2) Amplitube
(6) Digirack EQ and Compressors

This all on a system that I put out there for $1899. I've not tested this yet on a Mac G4 1.42ghz but I'd be shocked if it could do this... and that is HOW much more money? Put the money in your front-end, plugins, mics, and monitors and you'll be just fine with an LE system.....
Old 03-29-2003, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BradLyons:
Put the money in your front-end, plugins, mics, and monitors and you'll be just fine with an LE system.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Unless there was a typo in his query, DVD infers a requirement to interface with some semblance of video for content creation for DVD. In a video scenario, an audio recording/playback system without comprehensive (read not crippled) sync capability is as useless as **** on a bluebird.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:24 AM

LE can sync/lock as well as any system out there.

When properly used in conjunction with video reference and timepiece units (just as any system) chase and lock can easily be achieved with an LE system. I'm using a UVW1800 Betacam sp, Motu DTP and a Horita black burst video reference unit with great success as I do post and also score to picture.

It is only the "visual" lack of SMPTE time line & TC counter that has been omitted in LE.
Not it's ability to sync/chase/lock...

dk
Old 03-29-2003, 08:28 AM

Brad is right on the money. Now that I have a decent setup in my small studio using 001, the next $20,000 or more that I invest will be more high end Mics, Mic Pre's, Converters, Compressors, and a nice Lexicon reverb unit. Only then can I justify buying an HD system.

In the mean time, keep your 001 hidden from your clients! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2003, 09:41 AM

Quote:
In the mean time, keep your 001 hidden from your clients!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh yes....definitely do this. I had a client come in the other day to track some saxophone. After he was done tracking, he came into the control room and asked "hey - what's that Barbie-looking-thing?" I didn't have the heart to tell him what it was. I told him it was a MIDI interface. I didn't lie, exactly.....
Old 03-29-2003, 10:54 AM

Andy,

I've been steadily running a professional studio with the 001 as the core for 3 solid years now with great results. Now, I don't do the 18 input thing because I specialize in MIDI based productions. My 'live' tracks are electric and acoustic guitars, sax at times, and of course all the vocals.

Yes, the preamps and converters and microphones have been a nice improvement to sound quality, coupled with experience and using the equipment right. My room is acoustically treated and also pleasing to hang out in.(This is an issue too.)

If you believe in you and your studio, others will also. If you can make some good music and have a great time with your clients and genuinely appreciate their gifts and talents.... you're there. I don't want to leave out the fact that music production is a people business.

For me, the bottom line has been the quality of production we provide along with being a believer in the artists I work with. My price is higher than most, but doesn't matter to the clients who know they'll be treated great. HD or 001 hasn't been much of an issue at all, just the issue of "what does the final product sound like?"

When you're financially ready, definitely go MIX Plus or HD. But don't think you can't succeed with the 001, because it's already happening. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]