Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 PM

Lightbulb Request for a "Plug-In Rack"

Analyzing my personal workflow I come to the conclusion that most of the time I need more than one plug-in window open.

It would be so much cooler if there was a one-click solution for opening up a "Plug-In Chain" window which includes ALL plug-ins of the selected channel(s).

Imagine a solution visually comparable to the Reason Rack BUT usable with any plug-in chain...

The BIG advantage would be that the signal flow is represented in a perfect order and any adjustments in the first plug-ins could be controlled regarding how they affect the processors which follow.

The feel of adjusting plug-ins would be far more "analogue".

I guess that when one DAW software makes this come true, all others will follow.....

so digi.... why don't be the first ?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Request for a "Plug-In Rack"

Interesting point. This kind of exists already with some of the "channel strip" plugins like Waves Rchannel or SSLchannel. You can also Shift-click on a plugin, or click on the red dot if its already open on the screen. That will keep it on the screen until you close it(you can do this to as many plugins as you want open).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 AM

That's right... I am doing it that way all the time. But this is the point: it would be great to have a one-click/keycommand solution with a scrollable virtual rack. I am missing that shortcut to a "full channel view" in virtually any DAW software (I am and have been working with Pro Tools HD/LE/M-powered, Logic, Sequoia, Samplitude, Nuendo)
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM

go post it on the Ideas whatever Avid set up

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Idea Scale

This isn't a bad idea. Assuming one had the monitor room you could then shift it to another monitor. Being able to click a channels insert area to activate something like mouse over zooming or be able to click and drag the Expanded view to another monitor. I realise that you can target individual windows but that can get messy quick.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM

+1 on this idea. I would definately love to just have an insert window that is activated when you select a channel on a controller (control 24, C|24, Icon, etc.)
Having it work somewhat like a digital mixers select channel and corresponding screen view. That way when I want to mess with the kick channel i'm only looking at a window with it's plugins available. Select the vocal or whatever and the window changes to the plugs assigned on that channel. It would dramatically speed up work flow and reduce screen clutter.

Great Idea!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:11 AM

Smile Re: Request for a "Plug-In Rack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethAnger View Post
+1 on this idea. I would definately love to just have an insert window that is activated when you select a channel on a controller (control 24, C|24, Icon, etc.)
Having it work somewhat like a digital mixers select channel and corresponding screen view. That way when I want to mess with the kick channel i'm only looking at a window with it's plugins available. Select the vocal or whatever and the window changes to the plugs assigned on that channel. It would dramatically speed up work flow and reduce screen clutter.

Great Idea!!!!
Super insert view, Superchannel view, Insert Zoom. Track toggle... We need a name

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM

Call it "chainview". And let us save our favorite chains for one-shot recall.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Super insert view, Superchannel view, Insert Zoom. Track toggle... We need a name
While I love the name "Super Channel View", I think they could just use what they already have. The Icon features a "Focus Channel", so they should just call it "Focus View", or "Channel Focus Window" or something along those lines.

-Cheers
Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Great idea. Super Channel View sounds the way the go.