Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Modulating Delay Times

Does anyone know if there is plug-in that is capable of moduating the delay time? For example:
I want the Delay time to sweep up/down in milliseconds. I was able to do this with hardware DDL's such as the old Lexicon PCM 41 and PCM-42 digital delays as well as the old MXR Digital Delay ll using the Depth Control to set the amount of sweep the delay time shifts as well as the Speed to control to set the speed of the sweep.

All the Delay plug-ins that I have have a Modulation section that only modulates the pitch: creating a sickening chorusing type effect. The delay time always stays constant. No. I don't want that effect, nor do I want have to Automate the plugin to achieve the delay-time sweep.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Modulating Delay Times

Actually it's the same thing. Where you might be confused is that the PCM 42 would actually show you the delay time moving up and down. The digidesign delays are actually doing the same thing, they're just not showing you the delay times moving.

As delay times change, the pitch changes too, giving you that chorus effect.

The depth control is how far the delay time moves over time.

The Rate is how fast that change happens.

Now if you prefer the way the 42 or 41 sounds, I can't disagree with you. But they are doing the same thing.

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2004, 12:07 PM

It is well worth the time to learn how to program SoundToys Pitchblender. It has incredible routing and modulation capabilities (multiple modulation destinations, envelope modulation, etc.). There is a smooth color to it that makes it 'blend' in the mix like nothing else. The only drag is the delays only go out to around 800ms. Highly recommended, a must have, lots of cool presets.

sm
Old 01-17-2004, 06:27 PM

Steve and Produceher,
Thanks for getting back with me.

I do have both PitchBlender and Timeblender. Those are my favorite DDL plugins...But they are to high maintance for me to have to program just get the delay time to modulate. I relay on the presets and then I edit to taste.

Is there a preset on PitchBlender or TimeBlender that modulates the Delay Time that I can edit the delay's milliseconds easily and quickly?

I also have Echo Farm and the Super Taps. Do any of those delay emulators do anything close to a PCM-42?

Old 01-17-2004, 10:07 PM

Give these a try!! PSP42

PSP84

Hope they help!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:02 PM

[QUOTE]
the PCM 42 would actually show you the delay time moving up and down. The digidesign delays are actually doing the same thing, they're just not showing you the delay times moving.[QUOTE]

Produceher, a bit confused about the quote you posted.

Okay, I inserted a simple delay using the Digidesign Delay (Mono Long) on a single Snare Drum hit.
I set the Delay Time = 300ms; the Feedback = 50%; the Depth = 100% the Mix = 50%; the Speed ~ 20%.

I also set the same paramater settings on a PCM-42, PCM-41, and MXR-Digital ll as close as possible to the Digi Delay plug-in.

RESULTS: The Digi Delay Plug-in only makes the pitch of the snare rise slowly up and slowy down...but the Delay Time always stays constant @ 300 ms no matter what Depth setting it use.

Now, I am sending the same snare hit out to all 3 Analog Delays. The analog delays are treating the Snare with practically similar results.

Both the snare's Pitch and Tempo is changing proportionately to the amount of Depth that I set.
As the Delay Time sweeps decreasingly (say, from 300ms - 100ms), the Pitch Rises and the Tempo speeds up. As the Delay Time sweeps increasingly (say, from 100ms - 500ms) the Pitch falls and the Tempo Slows Down. That's the Effect That I am wanting to Achieve with a Plug-In!

I spent several hours messing with the parameters on PitchBlender/TimeBlener, Echo Farm, Waves Delays, as well as Digi's Delays but I just can't get the Delay Times to Modulate--without manually adjusting the Delay Time in Real Time.

I have not had time to Download the Trail Version of the PSP-42. Was wondering if any one was using the PSP-42 plug-in and does this plug-in actually respond LIKE the PCM-42.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I spent several hours messing with the parameters on PitchBlender/TimeBlener, Echo Farm, Waves Delays, as well as Digi's Delays but I just can't get the Delay Times to Modulate--without manually adjusting the Delay Time in Real Time.

With PitchBlender it is easy to modulate both Delay time and Pitch with the same LFO. Using the modulation destination pulldown on the same LFO path you can address both parameters and more. It's all in the box.

sm
Old 01-31-2004, 09:23 AM

Yesterday, I tried the demo of the PSP PCM42. It works just like my hardware model. The modulation did just what you're looking for and sounded wonderful. Too bad it's not TDM.

sm