Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: LE 6.2.3 Static Or White Noise During Playback

using mbox, i just experienced this (and looked here for answers...)
my session is a recording of two whole tracks! what i am experiencing is when i audiosuite some audio (say, gain add...) when i try to play it back afterwards it is just white noise.
i have to close and reopen the session, then back to normal..

???
PT 2022.10
UAD-2 Apollo Quad, PCIE and Satellite
Old 04-22-2004, 11:34 AM

What's the computer? What's the harddrive? Run down some specs if you can.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:20 AM

I've been having this problem since I bought my MBox. It pops up in this FORUM from time to time. Unfortunately, no one has yet come up with an answer as to what actually causes the problem. I can sometimes work for hours before the "white noise problem" occurs. Other times, it may be just minutes after a slight adjustment to a track. The noise does not affect the recording or the actual perofrmance of the ProTools software -- just the playback. And it occurs both through the headphones jack as well as through the speaker output. Audible clicks can be heard just before the "white noise" is activated. Rather than restarting everytime, I can bring everything back to normal by switching from INTERNAL to S/PDIF back to INTERNAL on the CLOCK SOURCE in the HARDWARE SETUP -- still a pain in the neck to keep doing over and over again during a session.

I wish someone could figure this one out as it makes using a VERY GOOD program VERY DIFFICULT to use.

Bernie

PS: Pro Tools LE 6.4 does NOT address this problem.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:52 AM

Hey Sicks,
I generally try to stay away from most of those places unless abosolutely necessary .

Circuit City might , but CompUSA on the Blvd would probably be a better bet. I've never really looked around locally for an enclosure as I normally mailorder most of my stuff.

Sorry I can't be of more help. The one I linked to previously at the OWC site is probably one of the better deals I've seen for a decent FW enclosure-- though I haven't poked around in a while. Everyone that has one of those OWC drives enclosures seems to rave about them.
---
c
Old 04-24-2004, 07:01 AM

Not a problem. I do most of my shopping on the net too, but my main out of house session is weekly on Sunday nights and I was hopin to spare my artist's ears this week. No big deal.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:41 AM

Well, I got a new case with the correct chipset last night. Put the thing through the torture test, maxing out the track count, looping large and small sections, etc, not a single issue. i'm going to be kicking myself in the butt for a while if that is all the issue was this entire time because i KNEW about the requirement for the oxford chipset from the beginning.

even my response time has gone down. i think i shaved a few ms of latency off with the new case. my only gripe is the thing is fairly large compared to my old case, but thats really not even worth complaining about.

Now, the only other issue ive ever had with my setup....new thread on its way..

THANKS FOR THE INPUT EVERYBODY

Old 05-15-2004, 07:49 AM

I'm new to LE - I've had nothing but TDM rigs until yesterday - I added a 002R for home use... and I pulled one of my "mini" firewire drives to transfer some files... but never considered running audio off of it before (I think it was a pull from an older powerbook)... probably 4500rpm - definitely not Oxford 911)

I opened an old session from TDM just to see what happens (that's another post). Using LE 6.4, I got the white noise on one track (out of 7). After reading the forum here, I tried moving the data to a different - faster drive (7200/oxford). Works perfectly.

Thanks all for your info. Every little bit helps.

jr