Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2022, 11:46 AM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbree View Post
I've done a fair bit of research on this and being quite OCD I've made a spreadsheet! I have a large but curated list of plugins. The only manufacturers which have no clear road map for Apple silicon are Antares, Matthew Lane and SSL. Which in the case of Antares doesn't surprise me. Antares' copy protection is among one of the worst things I've ever used ever.

https://asaudio.tech is a super useful site for checking M1 compatibility.
What a beautiful piece of website programming.
Aesthetics, efficiency, usefulness.
Thank you.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
General question - is having a non-M1 plugin in the main plugin folder the thing that forces Rosetta, or does a plugin actually need to be loaded in the session force it? If it’s the former, presumably moving a rogue plugin to Plugins (NOT USED) would make the problem go away (assuming you can live without it for a while?)
Hopefully an Apple silicon Pro tools will handle Intel AAXs like Logic Pro, which only starts the intel AU Hosting Compatibility service when you instantiate an intel plugin.

However, those of us old enough to remember the PPC to Intel transition will remember that nothing PPC worked on the Intel version..

Old 04-09-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
However, those of us old enough to remember the PPC to Intel transition will remember that nothing PPC worked on the Intel version..
PPC era!

It has been a wild ride since then!

It is funny that in 10 years we'll be thinking how slow and ugly the M1 Macs were.

(and then the Intel to M1 transition fiasco)
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 04-09-2022, 04:57 PM

I have, and use, plugins that will likely never be updated to Native. I hope it's not true that *every* plugin must be compatible before *any* of them can run in Native mode. It would force me to move those plugins to the unused folder, which I'd rather not do. Also, full compatibility of all of these plugins (hundreds) will take a year or more.

I do like the performance I'm seeing from real-world sessions mentioned here and elsewhere, but for $4k I'd rather be using all of its horsepower.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
nothing PPC worked on the Intel version..
There were a few companies that wrote wrappers which allowed PPC plugins to operate on Intel machines but they were generally buggy and frustrating. Rosetta is the wrapper this time around.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Hopefully an Apple silicon Pro tools will handle Intel AAXs like Logic Pro, which only starts the intel AU Hosting Compatibility service when you instantiate an intel plugin.

I suspect this is unlikely. Hosting user interface is another process whilst maintaining a comfortable user experience is difficult if you’re not Apple (they have private interfaces to do this).
Old 04-10-2022, 03:40 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2022 Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
What i’m saying is maybe they will rethink outsourcing to war torn countries that potentially put their entire engineering staff out of commission. Issues in Ukraine are nothing new either.

Am I understanding correctly that you're mad at Avid for hiring, several years ago, skilled developers in a country that would be invaded this year? Is that how your logic is flowing?

Honestly I think your beef is with Putin, who dared inconvenience you by murdering thousands of civilians. Sorry for your loss.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 04-10-2022, 10:48 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2022 Update?

Yours is the flawed logic. There is no reason to believe the developers in a precarious foreign country (Ukraine was invaded in 2013, after all) are particularly skilled. They may be college students or recent graduates.

I'm a retired software engineer, and during my career I worked as the US engineer on a number of outsourced projects. First, let me say that I have worked side by side with experienced and trained Ukrainian software engineers, and they were some of the brightest and most conscientious people I've ever been lucky enough to work with. Some of the best, both as engineers and human beings. I ache for what is happening in their homeland.

But when a US corporation makes an agreement with an outsourcing contractor group, they of course promise skilled engineers. But in many cases the contractor turns around and hires the cheapest labor available to them, often novices and beginners. And it's very likely those engineers knew little about DSP programming or audio. And of course they didn't know the Pro Tools codebase. Over time, the skills develop and they can be outstanding, but because they are hired cheap, many move on from the project as soon as they gain experience and skills, before their experience can be applied. In my experience, the turnover in these contractor groups is high.

I don't know the particulars of the PT outsourcing arrangement, or the group that is responsible for development there. But I can tell you from the outside that the problems PT exhibits over recent years are consistent with the scenario I've described, with cheap labor, inexperienced engineers, and lots of turnover. There are lots of bugs that persist for years, slow and bloated code, mysterious problems that no one seems to be able to fix, and extremely slow development. And the fact that PT outsourcing partners have moved development around to different countries more than once tells you that cheap labor is a high priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Am I understanding correctly that you're mad at Avid for hiring, several years ago, skilled developers in a country that would be invaded this year? Is that how your logic is flowing?

Honestly I think your beef is with Putin, who dared inconvenience you by murdering thousands of civilians. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited by deanrichard; 04-11-2022 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:23 AM

The distribution of labor scenario is speculative. The war is tragic and unnecessary. The lack of PT updates is inconvenient, but not tragic. Avid has made no promises about the frequency of updates, so we continue to wait.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:18 PM

War has nothing to do with protools being buggy. It's been like this for years.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk