Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Student Upgrade

Also still waiting. With Pro tools 10 I got the email around the same day it was released. Come on avid we are waiting.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope5050 View Post
Also still waiting. With Pro tools 10 I got the email around the same day it was released. Come on avid we are waiting.
If Avid is talking "up to 3 weeks" and that was from release date which would be most logical I would say 17-18 days has gone and you should get those emails next week if nothing has changed

Fingers X'D for you guys.. It is a great release of PT.
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
If Avid is talking "up to 3 weeks" and that was from release date which would be most logical I would say 17-18 days has gone and you should get those emails next week if nothing has changed

Fingers X'D for you guys.. It is a great release of PT.
Chris
I'm still waiting for the pricing for students with the CPTK to be fully resolved as well. It would make sense for students to be able to move to HD from their free upgrade for the price of the CPTK to HD offer less the price of the standard upgrade to 11 of $300, but that has yet to be put in place.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryrwiz View Post
I'm still waiting for the pricing for students with the CPTK to be fully resolved as well. It would make sense for students to be able to move to HD from their free upgrade for the price of the CPTK to HD offer less the price of the standard upgrade to 11 of $300, but that has yet to be put in place.
+1 But has AVID said anything on that matter yet? If yes I missed it.

If they want to charge students the normal HD upgrade price of $600, I'm afraid I'd have to pass. Which would be a shame, especially since these $600 are mostly for features I paid for before when purchasing the CPTK.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 AM

This is what we've been told:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...88#post2049288
Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslineb View Post
The information surrounding that post was inaccurate, and a number of us responded to it with rebuttals. A proper pricing would be $300, as it would be $600, less the upgrade price to 11 which we are entitled to anyway. Even though it's annoying to have to pay anything, seeing as we already paid for the features by buying the CPTK, at least $300 is a little more fair and reasonable.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM

At the end of the day though, she's right. CPTK was never offered for a discount price. I never understood the point of buying the CPTK anyway, because you could just buy a Pro Tools HD license and it would still function like the HD software even without Avid hardware.

Think you're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one CPTK users. You can still run PT10 though and get those features if you really need them that badly, but frankly if you need HD features you should be working on large enough projects to warrant the cost of it. HD isn't really a bedroom-studio orientated bit of software (I say this because most students would be using something like this).

To ease the salted wound a bit, why not just sell your CPTK license on Ebay or something like loads of people do and make sure it's not a total loss, then use it to fund towards a HD set-up if you really have to? £599 to go to PT11 HD really isn't all that bad of a price, and you can probably get it cheaper if you shop around.

That said... still awaiting my sodding e-mail, and nearly all my fellow students have had theres! ARGH.

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 07-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamsh View Post
At the end of the day though, she's right. CPTK was never offered for a discount price. I never understood the point of buying the CPTK anyway, because you could just buy a Pro Tools HD license and it would still function like the HD software even without Avid hardware.

Think you're just going to have to bite the bullet on this one CPTK users. You can still run PT10 though and get those features if you really need them that badly, but frankly if you need HD features you should be working on large enough projects to warrant the cost of it. HD isn't really a bedroom-studio orientated bit of software (I say this because most students would be using something like this).

To ease the salted wound a bit, why not just sell your CPTK license on Ebay or something like loads of people do and make sure it's not a total loss, then use it to fund towards a HD set-up if you really have to? £599 to go to PT11 HD really isn't all that bad of a price, and you can probably get it cheaper if you shop around.

That said... still awaiting my sodding e-mail, and nearly all my fellow students have had theres! ARGH.
There are so many things wrong in your analysis.

Firstly, the CPTK was offered at a discount to students through both the Digidesign Educational Store that shut down in around 2010, and Studica, which was the recommended replacement to that now defunct educational store.

Secondly, my projects are not that high end, yet I constantly push above the number of tracks offered in the regular version of Pro Tools as I track full drum sets with sound replacement and use many vocal layers, in addition to tracking in 96KHz. Passing 48 tracks in a session is actually quite easy. I also abuse advanced grouping options, as I'm Pro Tools certified and was trained with the CPTK and became very used to those options. Moving to a system without those would completely change my whole workflow.

Thirdly, that $600 upgrade path to HD is only available for those with the CPTK license, so if you sell that license, you would need to spend thousands of dollars in hardware to get HD.

Seeing as there are users upgrading to 11 and paying any upgrade price, the price to move from 11 with the CPTK license to 11HD would make sense to be $300 as the 11 license will just show as an 11 license, no matter what path you took to get there, so it would be fair to those who did spend $300 to upgrade to not have to spend it twice, and for those who are students or educators, it would be a nice way to still allow a slight discount, especially seeing as for students the upgrade to 11 should be free, even though it is worth $300, so by paying $600 like everyone else, they are essentially purchasing 11 twice even though the upgrade is free as part of the 4 years of free upgrades.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 PM

I totally agree. $300 is far more reasonable and something I would go for. I need 5.1 monitoring, which when you're studying film sound is pretty necessary and hardly seems like a super-premium feature.

I've received my free upgrade, but at the moment the most likely option I'm looking to take is to settle for PT11 vanilla, sell CPTK so someone out there can get to HD without hardware, and use the money to invest in another piece of software to use for 5.1.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Like in so many things over the last few weeks, what we see is Avid policy making a) on the fly, b) without properly thinking things through, and c) failing to take any account of the many very sensible and justified comments of its user base here in the DUC.

As for CPTK's availability with an educational/student discount, well I have supplied Avid, as requested directly, with a complete set of documentation (emails, bank statements etc) demonstrating that my purchase was via the Digi Education Store at a heavily discounted price. I also supplied Avid with an archive pdf copy of the Studica page that showed it selling student copies of CPTK.

So, for the avoidance of doubt, rest assured that Avid's seeming lack of knowledge on the subject of CPTK being sold at a discounted price to students has now been corrected.

We'll have to see what, if any, response Avid makes publicly. In my view, having requested specific evidence, and having been provided with it, Avid has an obligation to properly respond.

The subject of pricing for students with PT and CPTK, who want to upgrade to HD, needs fleshing out more by Avid in my opinion.

There should be differential pricing based on PT version too, and this is not just for students, but for regular PT owners too. It is not right that the upgrade price should be the same from PT10 and from PT11, as that results in some people either paying twice (e.g. if they upgrade from 10 to 11 first, then decide to upgrade to HD) while students lose their discount (e.g. if they are on the 4 years free upgrade deal, they shouldn't be paying for the 10-11 part of the HD upgrade fee, only the CPTK to HD part of it).

Let's face it, Avid seems oblivious, or simply does not care, that students who have CPTK and the 4 years of free upgrades deal have gone from believing (prior to the PT11 launch party) that PT10 to 11 would be free of charge, while retaining CPTK facilities, to one in they have to pay $599 to achieve the same functionality, and face potentially similar upgrade fees into the future. And this was inflicted without any prior warning/notification. Anyway, enough has been said on that already ...

Marianna tells me that she is still working with the relevant people in Avid to bottom out a variety of unresolved issues raised by us all in the DUC over the last few weeks. Hopefully the rest of Avid will support that work and, at least, provide clarification where there currently remains ambiguity.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)