Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 10:32 PM

Default WOW! new TC product

http://www.tcworks.de/home/content/e...ome/render_top

TC POWERCORe w/out the pci card. pretty cool. I hope the tc helicon plugin goes tdm.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:08 AM

Default Re: WOW! new TC product

I'm curious to learn more abou this as TC will be in-house next week to show me a new product, this must be it.... awaiting to see it!
Old 03-06-2003, 06:55 AM

Hey Brad, could you ask them if their helicon plugin will developed for protools?
thanks
Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 AM

heres a thought, I read this in the tc forum."

1/31/2002
"Question
I would like to run POWERCORE and ProTools plug-ins at the same time. Can I do that?

Answer
Yes, it is quite easy to run POWERCORE and ProTools TDM in the same session, and the two work very well together. There are just a few considerations to make when setting up such a system.

As POWERCORE and TDM plug-ins are inherently different, a host application that can address both the VST and TDM Plug-Ins is required. To accomplish this, you will need a TC PowerCore, a Digidesign ProTools Mix system, and Emagic's Logic Audio and ESB TDM Bridge. (Logic 4.73 or higher is recommended. Logic 5.0 is still being tested. ProTools HD has not been tested.)

The procedure is to set up the Audio Driver Preferences to "Direct TDM" and "ASIO." (Do not select DirectIO.) On Aux channels where you insert an ESB Plug-In, you can use TDM plug-ins. In your "normal" audio channels (ASIO), you are free to use POWERCORE plug-ins."

Now that this puppy is firewire, I wouldn't mind sticking a few extra in my rack running in tandem with and hd system. Only thing that worries me is the latency issues.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:33 AM

ti probably won't be that much cheaper than an HD process card. It's a full rack space so it's not all that portable. as has already been proven the weakness in a native system is not the 3 of plugin's it can handle, it's the latency induced by the host processor having to do all the audio engine and mixing duties. all these extra pci (and now firwire) dsp cores do is add plugins but they dont address the core latency issue.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitarman2k2:
ti probably won't be that much cheaper than an HD process card. It's a full rack space so it's not all that portable. as has already been proven the weakness in a native system is not the 3 of plugin's it can handle, it's the latency induced by the host processor having to do all the audio engine and mixing duties. all these extra pci (and now firwire) dsp cores do is add plugins but they dont address the core latency issue.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Guitarman2k2,
your latency argument just does not apply anymore. with current hardware and systems.... please find another gripe

we currently use both ptmix and native system and report that pt rig is more latent than my native system running the lynxtwo cards...

your beef may have been valid several years back but it just does not apply today.... i smell coffee brewing

not sure if you read the specs on the diceII chip that is in the powercore.... if not take a look, it is very interesting.

do your research before you spout out with the same rederic.

your friend.
capybara
Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 AM

I think this looks great, particularly for adding to a laptop. However, I too am concerned about latency. Is my concern misplaced or would there be more latency introduced through firewire than via a PCI bus?

It just seems to me that it would take more time for audio to travel over Firewire for processing and back to the computer than it would via a PCI card snuggled into a slot. Hopefully I'm wrong.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 03-06-2003, 10:13 AM

I have recently read that latency over Firewire should not be an issue, unfortunately I cannot remember where. The Firewire bus is well designed and intelligent and needs little overhead and creates little latency. PCI is a really old technology and it won't be long for other technologies like PCI Xpress to kill it. Firewire will replace low end PCI usage the way ATA is replacing low end SCSI usage.

Its best to ignore opinionated nonsense such as

"has already been proven the weakness in a native system is not the 3 of plugin's it can handle, it's the latency induced by the host processor having to do all the audio engine and mixing duties"

Leave that style for the Cubase forum .....
Old 03-06-2003, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capybara:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Guitarman2k2:
your latency argument just does not apply anymore. with current hardware and systems.... please find another gripe

we currently use both ptmix and native system and report that pt rig is more latent than my native system running the lynxtwo cards...

your beef may have been valid several years back but it just does not apply today.... i smell coffee brewing

not sure if you read the specs on the diceII chip that is in the powercore.... if not take a look, it is very interesting.

your friend.
capybara
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Read the specs read the specs. I listen to the results and I know along with the other professionals on this list. Why don't you go back to the recpit with the other haters and watch as steinberg hits the dust in another year.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capybara:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Guitarman2k2:

your friend.
capybara
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Rederic,

The firewire bus is inherently latent. Just imagining the stages and conversions of the audio path of this system gives me the shivers.

I run PT TDM and PT LE and I'm forced to report that the LE systems have much more latency.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]