Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Default copying midi notes?

Hi there! I have 3 measures of midi notes for the NI battery drums thing. I want to duplicate the notes in the last of the three measures, making it four. When I simply drag/select the notes in the measure -> copy -> paste at blank measure, I get nothing. I have an undo option which suggests that it pasted somewhere, but not in the current instrument track at the cursor location. What am I missing?

Thanks a bunch if you can help...I'm digging this song, and want it to work!!

kelly
Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: copying midi notes?

I've gotten this glitch a couple of times...Try changing your track view to 'regions' or 'blocks' instead of notes and then copy and paste. Sometimes PT has a graphical glitch where, if there was no midi in the space that you're pasting to begin with, then it won't show your paste. So, you could also try just recording nothing over the 3 bars at the end (so that the track turns pink or blue etc..) and then paste over that.

Adam Miele
Pulse Music NYC
(212) 358-7900
[email protected]

PT 7.3.1 HD3
OS 10.4.8
Dual 2.7 PPC
[email protected]
Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 AM

I've been having this problem as well. I tried using both regions and blocks, but no luck. I have tried copying and pasting in Grid, Shuffle, Slip and Spot modes. I have followed the reference manual's instructions on the subject, but still nothing.

The pasted items (the Edit menu suggests that something was pasted somewhere) do not appear anywhere. I have ensured that the midi track is selected before commanding both copy and paste functions.

This is a remarkable over-complication of what should be a very simple process.

If anyone can shed any light on how to do this I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo » 4GB RAM » Mbox 2 Pro » PT 10.3.4 » OS X 10.8.3 » Formac 500GB » Alesis M1 Active Mk2
Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 AM

Is this Session related? In other words, after 'Trashing the Prefs' does this happen to a newly created Session?

filosofem
Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 AM

This is the first time I've tried to use Midi in a session, so I haven't tried it in another session yet.

Which prefs do you mean? I can't see any Trash Prefs option under the headings. Do you mean Home>Library>Preferences>DAE Prefs or Pro Tools 7.3.1 Prefs?

Cheers

Edit:

Ok, I've tried copying and pasting in a new session (without trashing anything) and it still isn't happening.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo » 4GB RAM » Mbox 2 Pro » PT 10.3.4 » OS X 10.8.3 » Formac 500GB » Alesis M1 Active Mk2
Old 06-02-2007, 07:30 AM

Right, I have it.

thearnicasync, Here's what you need to do:

Select which mode you want to use (shuffle, grid etc.) and ensure you have Notes selected in Track View.

If you would like to just copy the notes then use the hand grabber to select the notes, if you want to copy automation data then use the waveform selector tool.

Cmd-X to cut, or Edit>Cut

(Here's the bit that's not in the manual) In the transport, change the start and end points to correspond with where you want the selection to sit in your song, just like when you're doing an auto-punch with audio.

Cmd-V to paste or Edit>Paste

Thanks for your help anyway, filosofem. That's a great album btw.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Indeed!

...and by the way Trashing the Prefs (Delete Pro Tools Preferences)

filosofem
Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 AM

Ok, thanks. I'll check that out.

I just realised that, althought it did paste the material I wanted it to, it didn't 'shuffle' like I thought it would - it pasted over what was already there. I noticed the manual talks about the regions shuffling, not independent note data. So I'm just trying to figure out how to split my one long midi region into several regions. I'm sure the scissors have something to do with it, but I can't figure out how.....

Old 06-02-2007, 07:53 AM

Track View - Region, then use the Selector tool, click the separation location and 'Separate' (Keyboard Command B). Repeat the process, then in Shuffle Mode, grab the Grabber tool and select and 'Cut' (Keyboard Command X. Make sure you have 'Keyboard Focus' enabled (a...z).

Also lookup 'MIDI Merge' and 'Merge' command (Option+M).

filosofem
Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 AM

Great, thanks a lot. It's Command-E on mine, but I found it once I knew what I was looking for.

However, now the paste function pastes a blank space in there, not the region I just cut from the end of the song. Also, it pastes a blank over the audio track as well, which is not even selected.

I thought the region should be on the clipboard, since I just cut it, but apparently not.

Edit:

I'm pretty damn sure I have it now. The reason I'm unsure is that, although I've done it a few times, it doesn't always work. Literally seconds apart, with all the same parameters, it doesn't always work. I've made the changes I needed to do though. Thanks a lot for your help, it's appreciated.