Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Computer Monitor Questions

I'm thinking of going with a dual computer monitor set up. Question #1. I'm going with a 19" LCD monitor. Would a wide screen be recommended or just a regular screen? What's the norm in a studio? if there is one. A wide screen obviously shrinks the height and I'm thinking you get more monitor real estate with a normal screen. Question #2. When working on DVD projects and only one monitor is needed....How does that work in a dual monoitor set up? Do you turn one monitor off? What happens with the unused monitor? Does it stay on with a blank screen? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Computer Monitor Questions

i've seen both wide screens and dual setups in studios. i have a dual monitor setup. think of the second monitor as simply an extention of the desktop. you'll have double the space to put all of your plugs or have reason running or your picture for film, or a picture of someone you love or whatever you like...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:56 AM

man, I would give it a couple years til the LCD flat panel tv's come down in price a bit and just run that as a monitor. That way you can do a days work and still kick back as your home theatre at the end of the day.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:05 PM

Pinstudio..... What size monitors do you have? You didn't mention if your's were wide screen. If they are ...do you like them? My son bought a 19" wide screen monitor and I'm not sure I like the restricted height. My plan is to have the plug ins on one screen and the mix/edit windows in the other. The point of having a dual monitor set up is to view everything easier. A restricted height kinda defeats the purpose. Doesn't it? But if wide screen is recommended or examples given why it's better. I'll go with a wide screen another wise I'll stay with the normal size screen. I was just curious cause it's a good chunk of doe and wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:16 AM

Hi Keniko,
I've got a new 23" widescreen Apple display for Pro Tools and a 19" regular display for Ableton/Reason. The Apple monitor is amazing but i wouldnt get a smaller widescreen monitor. Im kinda wishing i saved for the 30". Although i am sat about a metre away from my screens because the desk is in front of them.

When the second monitor isnt in use --ie when ur watching a dvd-- it remains blank (black). If its not in use while ur working you'll just see wour desktop background on it.

Hope thats of some help.