Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Default Acousticas EMT 252 IRs

Acousticas released a new ir lib - emt 252 with 250 and non-lin options
Got it this morning. And have been messing with ever since.

I haven't had the pleasure of using the real hardware but their blind test video demos were very convincing.

The lib. is huge, more than 2000 impulses. And they sound great.
what I like is that all the cross-over multiplier decays have been sampled too. That gives a lot of control over the reverb in various frequencies as opposed to the emt245.

The lib. has the emt 250 program in it and I am really liking how that sounds.
I have tc electronic's DVR2 and I bought as it is supposed to be a copy of the emt 250. And I like it too. Until today. Now I am going to sell it. the irs simply kills it.

what I love the most about this new lib. is the non-lin option. I use tc's non-lin a whole lot for percussive elements and vocal and like the DVR2 I use it a lot. BUT again the irs are making it sound like a box. I dont know what a real non-lin sounds like or whoever made up that word. But I do know that the non-lin irs of this library are mind blowing. And there are 1000 of 'em

You can watch their blind test here:

blindtest

I passed, but it was hard to call and perhaps even luck was on my side since there were only two choices ,-)
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Acousticas EMT 252 IRs

I don't have the 252 IR's yet... got all the others. I'll get these as soon as I get a slow down.
This company is making me actually love reverb again.
BT
MacPro 8 core
www.btruitt.com
Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 PM

I have their whole collection. That's what reverb should sound like. It's simply the best, and works with almost every convo on the market!

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 AM

Really brilliant stuff - should have the new IRs today - looking forward to it..

I got the blind test wrong! So they're surely for me..!!

David
Old 05-01-2009, 03:54 PM

After spending more time with the emt 252 irs I have gotta say that I am really impressed with the way those reverbs simply blend in with the mix. I can drive the send really hard without drowning the signal.

Anyone out there who have had the opportunity of working with the hardware for a long time who could shed some light on those machines for me. I got the 245 and I love it but after working with the 252/250 for 36 hours I am starting to get angry with myself for letting so many years pass without them. They have become my favorite reverbs in 36 hours. And that after many years behind the mixer. I feel really stupid

What is the story with that EMT hardware ? Anyone...
Old 05-03-2009, 03:10 AM

I'll add my praise!
These are the best thing that ever happened to TL space

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 AM

Those Non Lin presets are all over my latest track.
Vocals, snares and guitars.
Very happy.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM

I would really like to hear from someone owning the hardware what they think is making the EMTs, preferably the 252 and 250 so special. Also, it would be great if someone owning or having worked with both could chime in and tell me about the differences or pros n cons, between EMT & Lexicon. The hair on my chest is relatively green when it comes to reverbs made in the early 80'ies. My momma was still extending her services wiping my 'tucks back then.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 PM

Alright, this really MUST get back on page 1 where it belongs...

I finally had enough of a break to purchase & install the 252XL package... Holy *&^$%, what an amazing set of IR's!! It's huge, but so incredibly well organized that it's FAST to access & not the least bit intimidating to navigate through.

I've barely tried them in some ruff mixes & am already blown away... Acousticas deserves the highest praise for capturing the 252 in such comprehensive & user-friendly form. I own all their IR sets & was already a fan, but this one has me shaking my head in awe.

The only down side is that now I have to find some time to, um, remix some things...!! (Happy? Oh yeah, WAAAAY happy)

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWillis View Post
Alright, this really MUST get back on page 1 where it belongs...

I finally had enough of a break to purchase & install the 252XL package... Holy *&^$%, what an amazing set of IR's!! It's huge, but so incredibly well organized that it's FAST to access & not the least bit intimidating to navigate through.

I've barely tried them in some ruff mixes & am already blown away... Acousticas deserves the highest praise for capturing the 252 in such comprehensive & user-friendly form. I own all their IR sets & was already a fan, but this one has me shaking my head in awe.

The only down side is that now I have to find some time to, um, remix some things...!! (Happy? Oh yeah, WAAAAY happy)

Warmest Regards,
Brian
It's so great when something comes a long and blows your head back. Doesn't happen often.
Often it's a small thing that gets the solid results.
Lately for me I have felt this way about the Acousticas IR's, the Dynamic Spectrum Mapper and some of the new algos in Ozone 4 (intelligent 2).
Made my job easier and more fun.
Great stuff!!