Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2003, 08:58 PM

Default OT: Updating offline XP Home

My PTLE machine is not on a network or modem so I can not run an internet update from M$ for XP Home. Can anyone tell me how I can get the updates and Service packs for it? It always wants to update my home machine that is current and not let me download and save anything for the PT machine.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 07-05-2003, 02:42 AM

Default Re: OT: Updating offline XP Home

Here's one method:

If you have access to a WinXP machine that IS connected to the Web (preferably on a fast connection) you can download the updates to a folder and then burn them to a CD or whatever method you prefer to move them to your non-networked PTLE machine.

When you go to the Windows Update site look in the left-hand pane under the heading of "See Also." There you should see a link for "Windows Update Catalog." If you don't see the link for "Windows Update Catalog," then click on "Personalize Windows Update" under the "Other Options" heading in the left-hand pane, and choose the option to display the link to the Windows Update Catalog. You can then click on the "Windows Update Catalog" link and download whatever updates you think you might want or need.

I'd post a link to it here, but M$ has got it set up such that I can't figure out what the actual URL to the Windows Update Catalog is. Anyway, you should find instructions as to how to do it once you get there.

I hope this is helpful.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 07-05-2003, 06:51 AM

Yes, that what I have been trying to do. I have internet access on my home computer w/ XP Pro. What the problem is, when I go to the M$ update site, it will only recognize my home machine and not allow me to download any updates since my machine is on auto update and when I try to select anything for XP Home which is on the PT machine, it won't let me.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 07-05-2003, 08:26 AM

yeah, it's so annoying how you like have to have your computer on internet to do MS updating. it's really inconvenient to do otherwise.

i've been having problems myself. anyone know how to get a Direct X 9 driver that doesn't have to refer back to the internet?
Old 07-05-2003, 09:06 AM

Read my post carefully. Make sure that when you go to the Windows Update site that you choose "Personalize Windows Update," and select the option to "display the link to the Windows Update Catalog."

The Windows Update Catalog is different than the regular Windows Update that you use to update your own computer. It is used by network administrators to download updates that are then stored locally on the netowrk and used to update several other machines without a need to connect to the M$ update site each time.

In the Windows Update Catalog you select the OS that you want updates for, and then you select the category... Critical Updates, Security Updates, Recommended Updates, etc... Then you download them to a shopping basket (they're free). Just before you download them you're asked to give a name to the home directory you'll be storing them in.

I know it works, because I just downloaded a few myself to try it. It's NOT the regular Windows Update. It's the Windows Update Catalog, which you access from the update page by personalizing the page.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 07-05-2003, 10:56 AM

You can also contact Microsoft and request a CD if you really want the update.