Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Weak Signal Problem

Hopefully this is just some newbie setting problem. New to PT. Got the new Mbox around new-years - it came bundled with 8.04 (I updated to cs2).

I also got an M-Audio Keystation 88es to use for VIs. I'm using it through USB.

Here's the problem - When I play notes on the keyboard, the notes of the virtual instrument play accordingly, so the signal is getting through. HOWEVER, on any instrument that isn't a completely on/off situation as far as the note being played, the sound coming through on "played" notes (using the 88es) is MUCH softer than notes "clicked" on the virtual keyboard displayed on the screen. It is not just my ears, as the input meters in the mix window clearly showed this to be the case - even with the volume on the 88es pushed up to the max and hitting the keys pretty hard, I can't come close to the "normal" volume level of the "clicked" notes.

Pro Tools recognizes the 88es and had it listed and "checked" in the midi device window (Setup > MIDI > Input Devices (if it matters, Mbox Control and Mbox External are also checked)).

I figured I must have a faulty keyboard (output/velocity issues) and took it back to the GC where I bought it for an exchange last week, but the new one has the exact same problem, so I'm thinking that perhaps I have a setting wrong somewhere. I have the same problem with both the driver that came bundled with the keyboard and also with the updated/current driver on the m-audio website, so I don't think its a driver issue.

I've tried playing around with the setings in Setup > Peripherals > Midi Controlers, to no avail (although frankly, I have no idea what the options mean or what they "should" be) - at the moment its just "none", but nothing I tried here seemed to help, but I could have been doing it wrong.

Any ideas/advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Weak Signal Problem

I've found that the default volume setting on the VI itself is often too low...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Another possible thing is, mousing on the virtual keyboard is likely triggering the note at full velocity(127). Compare that to the same note, played on the M-Audio, but nail the keys hard. This happens on my system when I trigger SD2 from my Roland kit vs. mouse-clicking on the drums in the plugin. You may be able to adjust the velocity range so it suits your playing style, or maybe even program the keyboard for no velocity range(like you would for playing Hammond organ patches). There also may be some midi input adjustments in PT that is lowering the incoming velocity(there's a lot of little details I have yet to dig into as my midi needs are simple)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You may be able to adjust the velocity range so it suits your playing style, or maybe even program the keyboard for no velocity range(like you would for playing Hammond organ patches). There also may be some midi input adjustments in PT that is lowering the incoming velocity(there's a lot of little details I have yet to dig into as my midi needs are simple)
Unfortunately, the 88es doesn't have any options for adjusting the velocity output. Other M-Audio keyboards have different options for velocity curve settings/output, but not mine.

I've tried looking for a way to adjust the level from PT, but can't seem to figure it out. Does anyone know if/how I could raise the overall velocity input level? Even when I bang on the keys the input level is pretty darn low. I'd like to be able to keep the velocity sensitivity concept, just push the whole curve up into a more normal range.

Thanks!