Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 02:28 PM

Default dual 1ghz owners, are u happy ?

dual 1ghz owners, are u happy ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm ready to make the jump for a new( or old) 1 ghz.
any warnings, hints, thoughts .......
very welcome [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 09:49 PM

Default Re: dual 1ghz owners, are u happy ?

Mine works great with a HD2 system.

I've heard that the fans are loud in that model, but I can't tell since mine is in a Marathon rack, and doesn't have the original fan any more.

I'm hoping that OS-X and PT6 will unleash the power that's not being used right now.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:01 PM

I have the pre-mirrored doors model & I'm using it with HD3 and love it. It has been my most stable Mac since the IIx!

I literally use it for days without rebooting using PT, Final Cut Pro 3, and Photoshop 6. I usually have a web browser and e-mail open in the background too ( I did have to turn off automatic e-mail retrieval though - if I got a big e-mail while working in another app bad things would happen).

I've got 3 IDE hard drives inside and a couple of Firewire hard drives hooked up externally. It is rack mounted inside a home-built Isorack, with internal temperatures typically running 84-86 degrees.

The mirrored drive door models are a lot louder than this one. As a one room studio I'm happy I have the quieter model.

Good luck,

Jeff D.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:47 AM

I have the mirrored doors and I can just agree to what the others already mentioned. (I run a HD 3 on it). The baby is more stable than my Mix+++ Rig on the 9600. You can place lots of Eide Drives internal, great for fast backups.

go for it

daniel
Old 01-16-2003, 04:50 AM

be aware of the noise the mdd makes!
i have mine in a rack with a glasdoor...and it's still louder than a vacuumcleaner.
this is very annoying...but...nevertheless..the machine's power is great....(unless u want to use it with a digi001...than u have to change the logicboard...but that's another story..)
Old 01-16-2003, 11:53 AM

Other than an annoying Type 2 error when booting Pro Tools 5.3.1 (known issue with "Classic" OS 9.2.2), the system is really stable. I've got 3 of them and I haven't had any crashes after Pro Tools gets started.

If you're going to get one, I suggest you purchase a seperate IDE to use as a dedicated OS 9 drive instead of partitioning the HD that comes with the computer.

As for the fan issue, some of the fans rev up to full blast every few minutes. Apple has a great firmware update if your computer does this.

Good Luck
Old 01-16-2003, 03:45 PM

It's not just that the fan noise is so loud, it is loud in a register that seems to cut through other background noise. Aside from that, it is a terrific machine.

The dual 1ghz machine runs my general office / internet duties. I put it in sleep mode when working in Protools - running on a single processor 733 G4. That works well too.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:55 PM

So, just to clarify, with the Apple firmware update stopping the periodic fan bursts, is the resulting low-level fan noise still higher than on previous generation G4's? Significantly?

Malcolm
Old 01-17-2003, 06:59 AM

ok, apart from the fan noise, is there any more reason why Ishould go for the older model, or do think I should opt for the new model ?
Old 01-17-2003, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpayne:
So, just to clarify, with the Apple firmware update stopping the periodic fan bursts, is the resulting low-level fan noise still higher than on previous generation G4's? Significantly?

Malcolm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes to both questions.

Quote:
ok, apart from the fan noise, is there any more reason why Ishould go for the older model, or do think I should opt for the new model ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think you have much of a choice. I tried to buy a brand new 933 a week after the Mirrors came out and was shut down at many outlets. Whan I did find the 933's, they were $100 more than the DP's. With PT 6 and Logic possibly supporting DP's in the future, I decided to buy 3 Dual 1GHz.