Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Under water effect?

So I'm working on my sound design for the next play that we're doing at school.

One of the cues calls for a recording of voice (talking) underwater, with like a subba gear sound to it--I'm thinking bubbles, breathing mask, etc...

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this? Is there a plugin, like Vinyl, or Cosmonaut Voice, but for water type effects?

Also, I have another cue with dogs barking. It's supposed to be a nightmare sequence, so I'm thinking about trying to proccess a bunch of dogs barking with like a wah-type effect, mabey a filter like Recti-Fi. Anyone have any ideas on that one?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-28-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Under water effect?

You could try a few things. You need to make the audio burble and gurgle. Possibly some sort of random resonant filter or ring modulator might work. Or even a fast chorus/flanger. If you mix in some actual skuba bubble samples it might work.

Alternatively:

http://www.plugorama.com/customer/pr...3&cat=2&page=8

Let me experiment for a minute and get back to you...
Old 02-28-2006, 06:18 PM

There are some underwater settings on some waves plug ins but they are essentially fast wibbley sounding flangers. Get some skuba sound effects, a fast flanger to make the speech wibbley but still understandable and mix the two together. Also, and this might get messy, you could try recording and mixing in some gargling sounds or even gargling the words.

I wonder if a good vocoder be able to take the modulation sounds of, let's say a babbling brook or gargling, and then modulate ordinary speech into that cartoony underwater voice effect?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 PM

hmm...Interesting. This is supposed to be free? How do you download it? I tried to register, but you have to buy one of their other plugs to register.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM

It's the Waves Mondo Mod that has the underwater effect. Yeah, as mentioned, the presets aren't great, but with a little tweaking, I was able to get a usable underwater effect for a project I did. The best result I got was but doubling the vocal track that needed the effect. I ran one dry and the other with the effect full on, and mixed them together until is sounded decent. I guess it would be the same as running the MondoMod on an AUX track.

My $.02
Old 02-28-2006, 07:29 PM

ARRGGH!! That comes in the Gold Bundle. I only have the Native Power Pack. I guess I'll download it and use it as a demo for the two weeks for this project. Or mabey I can weassle into the studio at my former school for a day.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Yeah, but Proteins idea quite possibly would sound better. If you need scuba SFX, try audiosparx.com. If you can find a decent enought quality one there, a lot of their stuff blows, it should only cost you a few bucks to but it.

Good luck!