Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Default time for a new mac

so i am just about to replace my g5 powerpc

running 7.4 HD#3 transfuser, plus many more plugs VIs etc
is just grinding to a halt

so which one? and how much ram?

a dual 3.2 quad core with 8 gig of ram was what i looked at
but any input would be great
Old 10-14-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Re: time for a new mac

100 views but not one reply
Old 10-14-2008, 03:28 PM

I am running an HD2 system with a MacPro, 2x2.66GHz and 3 gigs of ram. Plenty of power to spare for me. Your milage may vary.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Do you have an accel system? I would suggest getting an older (intel) mac quad if that is the case, I have an 8 core system and you don't really see a performance increase with VI's past 5 cores. We will see how it goes when they put out snow leopard, we should see performance increase then if PT becomes a 64 bit app.

Best

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 10-14-2008, 03:54 PM

I went with the 2.8Ghz MacPro 8-core. I'm very happy with it and the increase in performance, vs. my G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, is HUGE. For the first time I'm satisfied with the performance of my Mac.

I don't understand the logic of spending 57% more to get a 14% increase in performance (2.8Ghz vs. 3.2Ghz).

Busch.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningbusch View Post
I went with the 2.8Ghz MacPro 8-core. I'm very happy with it and the increase in performance, vs. my G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, is HUGE. For the first time I'm satisfied with the performance of my Mac.

I don't understand the logic of spending 57% more to get a 14% increase in performance (2.8Ghz vs. 3.2Ghz).

Busch.

but what about the demands of PT 8 that is around the corner?

virtual synths in PT and all the new options surely will take a hit on the PPC G5s

i'm hoping mine can hang

Old 10-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Great question! I'm also on a Dual 2.7 and looking to upgrade soon. I'd been informed that Apple was releasing new Mac Pro machines today with higher processor speeds but they put out new MacBook(s) instead. The 57% higher cost for 14% increased performance on the current 8 Core 3.2Ghz Mac Pro machine is hard to swallow especially when Apple is past due on an update. Take a look at http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ They are advising buyers to wait... There page says the average update on these machines is 217 days and were way past that.

I wonder if Apple is waiting for Mac World to release new updated desktops with more than just a speed change? If they do, the new machines will more then likely be unsupported by Digi right away, making it hard to upgrade from the PPC side. I hope I'm wrong and would love to hear any insight...

1) Is now a good time with PT8 coming out or should those of us looking to upgrade make a move later... Any thoughts?

2) Is there anyone working with both 8-Core 2.8 ... 3.2 Ghz machines that could comment on the difference in performance?

Thanks!
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acacia View Post
Great question! I'm also on a Dual 2.7 and looking to upgrade soon. I'd been informed that Apple was releasing new Mac Pro machines today with higher processor speeds but they put out new MacBook(s) instead. The 57% higher cost for 14% increased performance on the current 8 Core 3.2Ghz Mac Pro machine is hard to swallow especially when Apple is past due on an update. Take a look at http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ They are advising buyers to wait... There page says the average update on these machines is 217 days and were way past that.

I wonder if Apple is waiting for Mac World to release new updated desktops with more than just a speed change? If they do, the new machines will more then likely be unsupported by Digi right away, making it hard to upgrade from the PPC side. I hope I'm wrong and would love to hear any insight...

1) Is now a good time with PT8 coming out or should those of us looking to upgrade make a move later... Any thoughts?

2) Is there anyone working with both 8-Core 2.8 ... 3.2 Ghz machines that could comment on the difference in performance?

Thanks!
Anyone?
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acacia View Post
Take a look at http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ They are advising buyers to wait... There page says the average update on these machines is 217 days and were way past that.
Yep, but as always you have to interpret the statistics properly. They do give a good big picture on where the Apple lineup will likely next be updated; however, they track *all* changes to the lineup, which means their update average is too small on many products, such as the Mac Pro. I'd say "13 months" would be a kind of weighted average I could trust if a significant upgrade is what you're waiting for (like I am).

That number is calculated by only counting 64bit G5/Intel machines (forget the G3/G4 already) and not counting three updates that unnecessarily skew the average:
1) the late 2003 update did not actually update anything significant but changed middle model slightly and dropped low-end model price.
2) the early 2005 update only slightly changed configurations and added a crippled single-cpu low-end model - they must have found out they're going to miss the anticipated 2005/06 release date for the last G5 model and thus gave the old lineup a facelift so most people wouldn't notice the second model is ageing.
3) the 2007 update only added 8-core model, otherwise the lineup was not changed significantly.

So...

- 2003/06: first G5 models, 12 months
- 2003/11: marketing update
- 2004/06: second G5 models, 16 months
- 2005/04: marketing update
- 2005/10: last G5 models (pci-express), 10 months
--> G5 models avg 13 months

- 2006/08: first Intel models, 17 months
- 2007/04: marketing update
- 2008/01: second (current) Intel models, 9 months and counting
--> Intel models avg 13 months

Conclusion;
Given the chart above can be used to predict anything, Apple has not yet released a marketing update for the second Intel model. It might still come later this year, but as it's long overdue if it's not a significant upgrade it likely indicates they have faced some kind of a tech trouble (such as the delay behind the PCI-express models).
...Which could mean that they probably have a whole new model being prepared for a release in 2008/11 to 2009/02 timeframe. I would expect new models this year but would not be surprised if they have to push it to 2009, even until 2009/04 (NAB) if they face any trouble and put out a marketing release very soon now. Apparently they now have hands full on their 17" laptop, which was not released alongside the other models...

ps.
Naturally, some people find those marketing updates very useful. This is just how *I* see it, and what is interesting in *MY* point of view. Feel free to share my opinion :)
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 PM

The way I see it is...

(1) Since most third party apps still can't make very effective use of their current 8-core capability, until Snow Leopard comes out, there really is no need for Apple to upgrade the Mac Pro line at a time when the global economy is in such a mess.

(2) Even if new mac pros and Snow Leopard do come out in, say, another month or so, it will be at least a couple more before all the bugs are ironed out and that Digi completes the update. Let's say 6 months. I'd rather get a new mac, which has been extensively tested to work great, NOW. (Well I did upgrade just two weeks ago with a 2.8 8-core. And oh boy does it rock!)

BTW, I'm not sure if there really is a significant difference between 2.8 and 3.2 8-core. But I also doubt that with the way I work I'd ever use up over 50% of what a 2.8 offers.
96 I/O
PT 7.4.2
Command 8