Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 01:33 PM

Default PLEASE HELP -Error Messages

Hi,

I'm new to Pro Tools and just received my 002R with 6.9. I'm using a new G5 2.5 w/ 2x1gb sticks
and a Glyph GTO50-250 Hard drive.ProTools 6.9 was installed in the G5 by the Dealer I purchased the computer and the 002R from.

The problem is I just set up my very first session in Pro Tools and created only one audio track. I keep getting Error messages -6086 and -6093 both stating The operating system held off interrupts for too long.If this occurs frequently try increasing the H/W Buffer size in the playback engine panel.

I've have tried every combination and nothing makes a difference I keep getting both Error messages.
I see JeremiahC had similiar problems in his post but he was only getting message -6093.He solved his problem by messing around with the Firewire cable, which I've tried, but it didn't work.I get these messages during recording and playback. It stops the recording a few seconds into it and also the playback. Digi Tech Support suggested on JeremiahC post to increase th CPU usage to 85% and the DAE playback level to 4 and that didn't work.

My first experience with Pro Tools is not diving me crazy.I can't do anything with it, not even record a single track.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Please HELP!!!!!!

Thanks
Tom
Old 09-18-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: PLEASE HELP -Error Messages

Please does anybody have any suggestions! Is there a Digitech out there? HELP

I've been working on this all day and my head is spinning!!!!
I don't know what to do next and to top it all off . I also bought a new Focusrite ISA428 with the optional A/D card. I'm showing a signal on the ADC output meters but the adat output signal from the unit is not going into the PTLE 002R. I have no adat output signal. I don't know if I would still get a meter signal if the card is bad or even if the card wasn't installed. I guess I have to call Focusrite on that.

Thanks
Tom
Old 09-18-2005, 07:28 PM

Have you looked at the Troubleshooting thread at the top of this forum ?

Also look at Answerbase - you'll see a tab for it at the top of this page.

One possiblity...

Setting the CPU Usage Limit above 95% may cause -6086, -6093, or -6097 errors. If a -6097 error occurs while Pro Tools is idle, reduce the number of plug-ins active in the current session.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 09-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Avid

Which FW port do you have the 002 and the Glyph drive connected to?

Did you possibly get a message about updating the firmware on the 002 and not do it?

What happens if you record or play back from the internal drive?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:57 PM

I had the 002R connected to the G5 tower FW port and the Glyph Hard Drive hooked into a FW Adaptec PCI card I installed in the G5. The dealer I purchased the units from said I could set it up that way.

When I had a friend came over today to look at it. He said I had it hooked up wrong ,you shouldn't have the drive and the 002R hooked up seperately. He hooked the Hard drive into the G5 tower FW port and plug the 002R directly into the Glyph Hard drive. We set-up a test session and recorded twelve test tracks with the H/W buffer size set at 64. No ERRORS came up.I didn't try recording to the internal drive and I didn't get a message about updating the firmware. Everything seems to be running correctly. That seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 09-19-2005, 06:06 PM

I've been having the same problem, I was told the I needed to partition my drive (I have the same glyph drive as you) into smaller drives, PT apparently won't work well with drives over 200 GB. I just did this, I'm not sure if it has made a differnce yet, I haven't had a chance to test it out.
__________________________________________________ ___

Here are a few things you can try that might help...

This is an Answerbase item on that error on OS X:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=28939
Quote:

Error -6093 operating system held off interrupts for too long.

If you frequently encounter a -6093 error, increase the Hardware Buffer Size. (Setups menu > Playback Engine).

Taken from the Read Me for Pro Tools LE v6.7 for Macintosh (Item # 4677

I would also check a couple of other things...

Check your record allocation:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=29145
Quote:

Spinning beach ball when recording to 200GB or larger volumes with Pro Tools 6.4 and higher on OSX.

This is a known issue when performing unbounded recording to many (i.e. 30+) tracks after several (10+) record passes. The SWOD's last as long as 45 seconds, and the problem doesn't go away until files are deleted from the target disk drive.

Workarounds:

- Use Apple Disk Utility to partition the hard drive into smaller volumes (note: you will need to backup the contents of the drive first).

- Go to Setups/Preferences/Operation and set Open Ended Record Allocation preference to XX minutes rather than Use All Available Space. 30 minutes or less is ideal.

When performing an unbounded record, Pro Tools pre-allocates a 2GB file for each record track. Performing multiple record passes unavoidably fragments the disk volume. As the disk becomes more fragmented, it takes the OS much longer to locate free disk blocks during pre-allocation. This is true on Windows as well as on the Mac, but due to the design of the Mac's HFS+ file system, the problem is much worse on the Mac.

If your drive is fragmented, you could try running a disk utility on it like DiskWarrior, or if you are able to back up all of the data on the external drive to another drive, reformat the external drive to defragment it.

and check that you have done this:
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/panther/002rack/
Quote:

Processor Performance & Power Mac G5

For optimal Pro Tools performance, you must set Processor Performance (located in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options) to "Highest". Updating your Mac OS may reset this to the default setting: "Automatic". After updating your Mac OS, check to make sure this is set to "Highest".

Apple's Mac OS help documentation provides the following info on Energy Saver Processor settings:

The PowerPC G5 processor in your Power Mac G5 can run at various speeds. The default setting for this feature is "Automatic", which allows the system to run the processor at full speed when required, and at a lower speed during periods of light processing activity. Certain real-time applications, such as audio creation or gaming, may perform optimally when using the highest processor performance setting. You can change the processor performance setting in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences.