Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM

Default PT Native does not mute track when punching in so I hear the latency delay too...?

The Massey 'Talkback' plugin does not work with 10.1.3. Yes, why doesn't Avid do something about this... am I missing something or is there another way to monitor in HD Native without the delay using a similar plugin or something ?

Yes I'm using the little software mixer but the fact that when you go into record and the track you're recording on does NOT MUTE is pretty silly...

ie...

1. Record a vocal on new track. (track is muted when recording so as not to hear the latency delay...)

2. Monitor what you've recorded and punch in (Quick Punch) and not have to listen to:

a. delay (because low latency monitoring doesn't work in a situation whereby you have a mix up with plugs all over the place even with no plugs on the Master...)

Or:

b. have to listen to 'all' of what you've recorded already... and thereby sing (or play) over something that you are intending to replace !

Any help please ?

Thx, kick
Old 05-19-2012, 06:36 PM

It should be possible to turn off software input monitoring, but it's not. Hopefully that will be added one day..

In the mean time you can use a keyboard macro recorder to define a couple of new keys.
"Punch in and change input mute status" and "punch out and change input mute status"

The hardest part is remembering to use them..
Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 AM

check out the plugin "mute tone". it is free and mutes the the channel only when you record.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Re: PT Native does not mute track when punching in so I hear the latency delay too...

Thanks guys ! I will try both of your suggestions, fingers crossed.

LLM just dosn't want to work properly... Lol
Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 AM

Mute Tone is the answer if you're on a Mac. I hadn't spotted we're in a Mac only forum..
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Re: PT Native does not mute track when punching in so I hear the latency delay too...

Sadly, in PTHD 10.1.3, MuteTone doesn't do what I need either... (?) all that plug seems to do is mute the channel from instantiation not only when you hit record...

I think that there is another problem going on with this particular session... maybe the session or the ProTools app are corrupted because this now seems to be an intermittent problem.

Just as a test, I loaded up a new session with my cpu loaded up to about 80% and both of my UAD Quad cards up to 90% to see if LLM would work with that stress on the system, it did work... so, corruption may be the problem but I'm not sure where and why it's occuring but in the meantime its annoying to say the least.

Any feedback would be welcome a graciously appreciated.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM

LLM should work regardless of CPU load, its all done by the card.
LLM does seem to behave erratically at times for me though.
What is the little software mixer you speak of?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM

The "little software mixer" is menu: setup>hardware and then the mixer tab.

And btw, still no luck with this session and the $149 worth of support I just paid for haven't come up with anything either...

It's not as if I'm stupidly threatening to leave the platform, I would just like it to work as it should... now is that too much to ask ?

kick
Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 AM

Is that the mixer for an omni interface? Or is it something that the Massey plugin adds?
If it is the Omni, You shouldn't need to touch the hardware mixer at all.
Don't route the inputs to the outputs on the hardware mixer (just leave it in its default state, and let ProTools do the input/output routing in the session)
Select which output pair you're using for LLM, use that output for your overdub track and put it in record.

I may be misunderstanding your problem, but you may be overcomplicating things.

On a re-read, do you need the Massey pluging to be active on a record track?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Bobby,

Yes, Omni "mixer", this is why I was trying "MuteTone"...

Yes I could be over complicating it all... the thing is that I have tried everything I and all my fellow PT users can think of and still no solution... the basic fact is that LLM simply does not work in this particular session so it's either corrupt or an intermittent bug. So far I have not been able to figure out why it's happening.

I'm going to do "phone in support" this morning and see what a "real" person has to say... the email support that I paid for is as slow as molasses sadly.

kick