How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2023, 08:28 PM

Default PT9

Hi,

I know this is an old version but I see this for sale somewhere and I'm interested in using this with older interfaces such as firewire etc..........

PT9 is 32 bit only (I know) - Now PT9 is being sold somewhere on an iLOK inside a plastic polythene bag with PT9 label and the little bag is sealed.

The seller mentioned the PT9 license is on the ilok key.

It won't be possible to get a transfer of ownership because the license is already on the iLOK.

Does this sound normal and OK? - As per Avid policy? - Did Avid ever sell PT9 on iLOK with the license already on? - Any info welcome - Thanks
Old 10-22-2023, 08:45 PM

Default Re: PT9

It is just an agreement between you and the other guy. You own nothing but piece of plastic, cannot transfer the license to your own account and cannot upgrade. All you are agreeing is for X amount of money you are loaning someone else's license. Nothing illegal about it.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:04 PM

Hi OK - But discussion is needed.

Did Avid ever sell PT9 with the license already on an iLOK V2 dongle? - Because that is how it looks.

This would be an Ebay purchase - And the person has not mentioned a transfer of ownership at all.

I'm looking for an older license at a good price - but also to own this myself if possible.

I do have an Avid account and can subscribe to new versions of Vanilla Studio or Ultimate software as I also have an HDX card!!!

The older version of 9 or 10 would be appreciated and useable on older regular ASIO interfaces - Non proprietary!

Why would someone sell PT9 on an iLOK that is nicely packaged into a plastic bag and labelled? - Is this Avids work? at one point in time? - or someone else who has created the packaging? - And why would they do this?
Old 10-22-2023, 09:21 PM

Someone else owns the license and has activated it on iLok2 key. You are only paying for loaning that license from someone else, all you own is a piece of plastic.

I would ask the seller to upgrade it to latest version and selling the current license for you at higher price. With a proper transfer of ownership you would then own the license.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:40 AM

Hi - Yes I understand you - Thanks for pointing this out to make me understand.

Is it still possible to just do a transfer of ownership with the old PT9 license only? - My reason for buying this would be to use older interfaces such as firewire / PCI interfaces.

Knowing the facts is not easy sometimes and the seller may have organised this or possibly obtained the licenses on the iLOK sticks from someone else.

Is it still technically possible and allowable by Avid just to transfer the PT9 ownership from the seller to me? - Will Avid allow this? - If they do then I will ask the seller to perform a transfer of ownership - Thanks
Old 10-23-2023, 12:49 AM

I think only current licenses can be transfered, but the good news is you can upgrade all Avid-branded versions (PT9 and later) to current one with a support plan.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:27 AM

Just for clarity, you can use the newest Pro Tools with old firewire interfaces, as long as they have drivers for the OS you're running. Especially if you're on Windows (my old Pro Fire drivers for Win 8 are working fine on Win 11 as an example).

Also, be sure the PT 9 version you're looking to buy isn't the M-Powered version, unless you specifically want to use M-Audio interfaces - it is not compatible with other brand interfaces.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM