Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2003, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Argh!! upgraded to 6.1 and everything works except recording

Oops, the VIA VT 6306 is the 3 port Firewire controller chipset which is standard on many Intel 845e MOBO's, one of DIGI's recommended boards.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:39 AM

I've uninstalled and reinstalled LE but no luck. I think I'm going to have to do a complete reinstall from the ground up which I'd like to avoid so I'll try customer service tomorrow, unless someone has a solution. I wish DIGI would make the DV Toolkit backwards compatible to 5.3.2, methinks 6.1 suffers from software bloat and I've noticed it uses a whole lot more memory than 5.3.2
Old 07-27-2003, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hanzoid:
I've uninstalled and reinstalled LE but no luck. I think I'm going to have to do a complete reinstall from the ground up which I'd like to avoid so I'll try customer service tomorrow, unless someone has a solution. I wish DIGI would make the DV Toolkit backwards compatible to 5.3.2, methinks 6.1 suffers from software bloat and I've noticed it uses a whole lot more memory than 5.3.2
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please post your response from Digi here or the solution you come up with. Most of the 6.1 issues are with 002 and 002r. The 001 gang is not seeing the hit on resources like the firewire crowd. Not sure what firewire would have to do with this issue though. I've not seen this yet. I suspect it may have to do with the way the audio drive is formatted though and the way the partitions are being read. I don't partition my audio drive anymore and the drive works far better in XP. If nothing else copy your sessions over to your system drive and reformat the audio drive.
We ran into alot of issue last year on the P4 systems that had to do with controller driver issues. After downloading the newest controller drivers from the manufacturer's website or from Intel's website, most of these got cleared up. Also, the addition of a Promise ATA100TX2 controller card made things much more smooth for the hard drive issues. Especially when you are slaving the audio drive off the same cable as the system drive.
Personally, I'd invest in a Bytecc external firewire drive enclosure, Oxford 911 chipset, and stick your audio drive in there. YOu can buy one now for 41.00. See the Best System for PTLE thread above for the link.
Good luck,

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 11:30 AM

Hello. Another variable is the 6.1 upgrade by itself, as opposed to the 6.1 DV Toolkit 30 day demo. Did you try the 6.1 upgrade by itself, no DV Toolkit? It also occurs to me that with the DV you have a SMPTE timeline. And SMPTE timelines can have issues with session start times, recording allocation space, 13th hour, etc.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:45 AM

Agreed, I believe it's a drive mapping question (since i experienced something similar with a previous install of 5.3.2 resolved by starting from scratch after deciding exactly how to divide my partitions) Currently my system and audio drives are on the separate primary and secondary ide controllers, but I'll certainly try your idea of one large audio drive and download the latest controller drivers as well. Still puzzled why a simple upgrade would leave this result though.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:47 AM

to froyo, yes I thought of that already and the same result, abslutely no difference with either DV Toolkit installed or not installed.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:52 AM

I was having the same problem, after uninstalling, everything completely removing those 1.9 gig files,(I had a few on both my SCSI and ATA Audio Drives, reformating the drives (NTFS 32K) and reinstalling, I am able to record, There is a long lag time from the time I push the record button (about 15 seconds) before it starts recording. At this point I'm just happy that I can do something I am going to get a hold of tech support on Tuesday, I think there is something wrong with the installer, because I was getting the Blue Screen of Death after installing, the culprit was "DALWDM.SYS". If anyone knows of how to correct the lag time with the recording button please let me know.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:40 AM

Try this:

Setups - preferences - operation,
where it says Use All Available Space, choose Limit to... and enter 15 minutes or so.

this works for me!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:00 AM

Actually I've solved the problem (but still don't know what was the cause), here's how. Using Disk management under Administrative tools, (after backing everything up) I deleted all my audio partitions and made one large 115gig audio drive. This didn't solve the problem. Next I deleted my SFX partition where i store SFX on my system drive and created two new primary partitions, one of which is a small 5gig partition. So, I have 3 primary partitions on my system drive divided thus, 10gig (C:) with XP home, 5 gig (E:) with another XP install called Pro Tools and a 22 gig (F:) for SFX. Then my audio drive (D:) on the secondary ide. A minimal install of XP on the 5 gig drive with no apps except for 6.1 LE. Now all is well with instant record onto 32 tracks and open ended allocation. Still i have no idea why the upgrade from 5.3.2 to 6.1 didn't work properly