Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Waves Clarity Vx noise reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
As with every AI Dialog Noise Reduction Plug In the Automation does not work. It is NOT REPEATABLE! One of my former Mixers when I had him try the plug in he said every time you play it from a different area in the mix it changes the processing of the region. He sent me a video showing exactly that! Now if you Audiosuite it then it's fine since it's been burned into the region.
That is the ONLY WAY to get repeatable playback within your mix!
This makes sense since the neural network engine is going to react to the sound differently each time it analyzes it. Therefore, real-time is pointless. The best way to use this is to render the results. It doesn’t work statically like Cedar or WNS.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
As with every AI Dialog Noise Reduction Plug In the Automation does not work. It is NOT REPEATABLE! One of my former Mixers when I had him try the plug in he said every time you play it from a different area in the mix it changes the processing of the region. He sent me a video showing exactly that! Now if you Audiosuite it then it's fine since it's been burned into the region.
Yep. RX was the same way with their voice de noise. Always writing, and it was always different.

Audiosuite only.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Yup, makes complete sense to me.

This is the most surprising thing about the early feedback from the big-hitters, that they are really using it real time with automation. I wonder how long that will last.

I also wonder if Waves can do an update with an optional offline mode that reduces the CPU hit. Even in AudioSuite, I have to work with a 1024 buffer. No other plugin struggles remotely at 256. If it had an offline mode I'd be more than happy to work with a trade-off of being slower or buffering the audio. That's what a lot of RX plugins do, for previewing you have to wait a second or two.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-10-2022, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Yup, makes complete sense to me.

This is the most surprising thing about the early feedback from the big-hitters, that they are really using it real time with automation. I wonder how long that will last.

I also wonder if Waves can do an update with an optional offline mode that reduces the CPU hit. Even in AudioSuite, I have to work with a 1024 buffer. No other plugin struggles remotely at 256. If it had an offline mode I'd be more than happy to work with a trade-off of being slower or buffering the audio. That's what a lot of RX plugins do, for previewing you have to wait a second or two.
You might need to update your PT version as it is only qualified for 2021 PT. Also, as an Audiosuite, why does buffer size matter in Audiosuite.

Maybe your audio card or system is slowing you down. I get immediate preview from RX at 1024.

I'm not so sure its the plugin that is the problem.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
You might need to update your PT version as it is only qualified for 2021 PT. Also, as an Audiosuite, why does buffer size matter in Audiosuite.

Maybe your audio card or system is slowing you down. I get immediate preview from RX at 1024.

I'm not so sure its the plugin that is the problem.
Oop, sig updated! I'm on 2021.6. Soundcard is RME Babyface, which I believe is still about the most efficient drivers out there, so it's not that.

But to be clear, 1024 works fine for me with immediate preview. It's just that 256, my normal buffer, it doesn't. It clicks and drops out like crazy.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-10-2022, 01:34 AM

One more observation on CPU - AudioSuite is much worse than a channel insert. I have 16 threads, and I guess it distributes the mixer load more effectively than AS.

Vx Pro actually works okay at 256 if it's a channel insert, though CPU is pretty bouncy and it feels like it might drop out at any moment. But with AS it's a non-starter.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-10-2022, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
That sounds more like it.

Wonder where the other poster got that 4GB figure from?
That was in Waves Central? Certainly seemed high! Might be getting my Gs & Ms confused? I'll double check...

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-10-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
BTW, I have a support ticket in as I can only get Clarity Pro working on Pro Tools 2021.6 on Windows 10. It doesn't show up in Cubase 12, and crashes Acon Acoustica on Windows. On the macbook pro 11.6.4, in PT 2020.11 it generates multiple errors of '"Mk1Waves.framework" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified'. This happens on launching Pro Tools or when trying to insert it in Cubase. On Acon Acoustica it crashes on launch.
Just to update this as Waves got back to me.

For the Mac:

Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy;
Select the General tab at the top

Now start Pro Tools. When a pop up window appears about not trusting the developer, click ignore (or cancel... forget which!) and then a message pops up in Preferences asking if you want to let Waves stuff through. Click Allow.

Clarity now works in Pro Tools 2020 and Cubase 12 on the Mac.

I also got it working in Cubase 12 on Windows. It was a strange one, I added it to my favourites folder in plugin manager, but when a project opened it had vanished. I had to manually re-add it again inside the project, and then all was well.

As for Acon Acoustica, Waves isn't supported at all so I've put in a request. All my other Waves v13 plugins work in VST2 form, but VST3 makes them all crash or disappear.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-10-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Yep. RX was the same way with their voice de noise. Always writing, and it was always different.

Audiosuite only.
Only if it's left in Adaptive mode, which doesn't sound good very often.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:23 PM

I quite like the plugin. It seems to leave the source nicely intact.
But yeah, using it real time in a track gives some wide variation in results.
I was however using it as an insert on a dialog track at a 128 buffer and didn't experience any drop outs at all.