Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 08:53 AM

Default Argh! Help!

Hey everyone -

Seems like now that I've discovered this forum, my system wants to give me tons of problems so I have a reason to write in.

I have lost the ability to record audio. Playback, MIDI recording, MIDI playback, bounce down and all other functions seem to be unaffected. The full story: I was working last night, and had a session going with a couple of MIDI tracks, a couple of imported audio tracks, Reason, and Sampletank2 running. I was attempting to play bass over the piece. I could record for a couple of seconds, then playback would stop. Trying to re-record the part would cause ProTools to stop responding. I tried setting up a new session to see if there was some type of corruption within the session, but the same thing kept happening. I had just upgraded from 6.1.1 to 6.4, so I thought this might be the problem, and un-installed 6.4 and re-installed 6.1. I tried again, both within the same session and creating an entirely new session. Same problem (with lots and lots of restarts of the computer) persisted. I recently had a problem with my recording drive changin to PIO mode, so I checked all of that stuff and it seems fine.

Eventually, I tried to burn a CD of the data I had created, and discovered that the failed recording files (approx. 4 sec's of music) were creating 2.1 GIG files! What the heck? So I tried to delete all of them. They all deleted except one, which it told me was being used by another program or user. But I had just restarted my machine, and there are no other users set up and nothing was running. On a hunch, I checked the other new sessions I had created for testing and there was another of those 2.1 G files. I tried to delete this one, but it too was in use. Ugh!

Anyone have any ideas for me? I have a project due later today, and not being able to record audio is a prblem to say the least.

My system - 2.6G P4, 1 Gig RAM, Digi 001, ProTools 6.1.1 (again....), seperate system and recording drives

Thanks for the help....

Oh, one other thing - anyone know where I can find Rail's MME Helper? I checked his site (last night before all the trouble started), and couldn't find it. Also did a search here on the DUC.......

-Scott
Old 11-04-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Argh! Help!

http://www.railjonrogut.com/DigiMMEHelper.zip
Old 11-04-2004, 09:13 AM

Sorry to hear that man
And sorry because I have no idea what the sollution would be, don't think I've ever heard of a problem like that. Hopefully someone else will chip in on it soon though.

Here's is the MME Helper (it's a direct link to the download of the zip-file).

Good luck to you!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:19 AM

The 2Gig files are normal when you have Record Allocation set to 'use all available space'. The normal flow is that when you start to record, the large files are created, and when you stop the transport, the files are re-sized to the correct length for what you recorded. If ProTools stops responding, and you need to kill it or reboot, the files don't get resized.

However, that doesn't explain not being able to delete them.

If, after a reboot, without starting any programs, they can't be deleted, you should check the permissions on the files and the directories in which they reside.

How full are your drives?

Old 11-04-2004, 09:28 AM

The drives each have over 7 Gigs of free space - how do I change the allocation setting? That sounds like it may be the culprit!

I don't know what to do about the "locked up" files. When I try to check there properties to see the status, it doesn't allow me to see anything.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:44 AM

On the locked up files...

Usually any file that cannot be deleted because it's "in use by blah blah blah..." can be deleted in SAFE MODE.

Restart your computer in safe mode, and give that a try.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-04-2004, 03:14 PM
rogga_bogga

Quote:
On the locked up files...

Usually any file that cannot be deleted because it's "in use by blah blah blah..." can be deleted in SAFE MODE.

Restart your computer in safe mode, and give that a try.

Mike
There is another way. Open notepad, choose open, select all files and browse to the folder where the file is and then delete it.

Roger
Old 11-04-2004, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the advice on the frozen files and the links to the MME Helper. Does anyone know where I can check the "Record Allocation" for the creation of the 2 Gigs files?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

-Scott
Old 11-05-2004, 06:05 AM

Hey everyone -

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help yesterday. The "Record Allocation" issue was the root of the problem, and I found a great way to fix the "locked" files - I created a small file and named it the same thing as the locked files, and then replaced them - Viola!

Again, thanks to everyone for their advice.

-Scott