Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM

Default aural exciter

i know basically what its does but the plug in version has no operation manual that i can find that explains the controls. i dont know how to dial in optimal settings for particuliar elements. does anyone have presets for the plug in version or a explaination of the knobs and functions.
thx
Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: aural exciter

found the manual on my hd. just never looked for a pdf manual before. still any tips would be sweet
Old 09-07-2004, 07:44 PM

The analog version in the analog world (1990 and before), could open up a track better than cheap eq. On the right track it COULD brighten in an "exciting" way. All too often, if ears were tired, the result could make you puke the next day.

The Plug-in version used very sparingly, (a mix % of less than 20 %)can add a nice sheen to some voices (both sung and spoken). Others it can make very strident. With today's Multiband compressors and super smooth EQs, I rarely find a place for it. But that's just my opinion.
I still hear it used on west coast stuff...

Have fun,

Frank
Old 10-07-2004, 05:34 PM

I found that using it on AUX 100% mix and applying to vocals that way creates interesting almost biliance on it, play with frequency and u will see
Old 10-20-2004, 01:42 PM

If you are going to send to it on an aux, then be sure to click the solo button on the Aural exciter plugin so the orignal does not come thru this path. . . otherwise there will be some comb filtering which is ugly IMO. Of course if you are not using a send, and routing the vocal track to the aux this does not apply.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:40 PM

Or you could track the result, and slide it back in line with the original, that's prbably what I'd do.

I agree that its an effect I VERY rarely choose, but on the rare occasions (once a year?) that I need it, it can be really great. Its kind of like a distortion generator with a highpass filter. It just creates overtones, which is a different sound from EQ. It brings out breath and sheen. Its aslo VERY easy to overuse. If you do use it, don't commit it to a bounce without saving the original version first - its the kind of thing that sounds great at first, but then a few months later, when you have ears for it, can be too much. I feel the same way about mixing with a slap delay, although I use one on nearly every mix I do. (hint hint)