Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Midi track is recorded. What\'s next?

After recording a midi track, do I need to send it to a Master Fader? How do I include it into the Mix?
Old 03-18-2003, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Midi track is recorded. What\'s next?

MIDI is simply electronic sheet music, the sequencer acts as the musicians...

Where are your instruments?

(The common method of bringing hardware instruments into Pro Tools is plugging them into the audio inputs, then assigning these inputs to an Aux Track destined for the main mix outputs).

Phil
Old 03-18-2003, 08:01 PM

Phil, Thanks for the help. All I have is a midi controller using synth sounds. Is there software that I can use to connect to an aux track? Or, do I need hardware?
Jeff
Old 03-18-2003, 09:32 PM

Hi Jeff,

What synths are you using? Software based, I presume, but what models?

Digidesign recently anounced their intended support of ReWire2 (to direct MIDI and audio between 'ReWire2' compatible applications, such as Reason), however it might be year(s) before it comes to fruition.

Some soft synths support DirectConnect and therefore may be incorporated into Pro Tools in similar manner to a plug-in.

The last resort method is to take your soft synth sounds from your standard soundcard's outputs by plugging it into your Digi hardware audio inputs.

A popular method is to add a thrid-party soundcard that features ADAT outputs to allow the routing of 8 channels of digital audio into your Digi ADAT inputs.

Although M-Box users don't have this luxury, however one could still make the two channel S/PDIF connection.

Hope that helps.

Phil
Old 03-18-2003, 10:38 PM

Phil we need a page to explain this stuff.

I can make space available at Group DIY. A midi section perhaps. If you have a collection of words ready to go I'd love to have them. Even if they are not ready .. i'll have a go at editing them.

Throw me an email.

In the mean time here is an old Roland "Midi Basics"

http://www.recording.org/users/kev/MIDIBAS.pdf
Old 03-19-2003, 03:43 AM

Phil, I am using software called "SimpleSynth", free from Yandell.com. My Midiman Keystation is connected via USB into my Mac. I have an Mbox, also.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
Phil we need a page to explain this stuff.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed wholeheartedly. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Excluding my professional articles (which are copyrighted), I have all my contributions to various email groups on file, and of course, there's the trusty DUC archives (along with various other forums I frequent) from which we can call upon to compile a FAQ.

I guess it'd be a matter of sifting through them to form a guide that hopefully people can relate to their own particular set-ups.

Still, I expect to see a few problems, whether that be because the subject matter can be quite tricky and some people might find it difficult to relate genericaly labeled items to their own specific set-up, or they just like the personalized communication on a forum.

However, having a single point of reference (ie.FAQ) would certainly cut down on the typing! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'm about to head away for a week's leave (with a marriage proposal to concentrate on) but I'll keep the idea in mind over the coming weeks.

All the best.

Phil
Old 03-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by accession:
Anyway, I'm about to head away for a week's leave (with a marriage proposal to concentrate on) ........
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

good luck
may the force be with you [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]