How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 07:46 AM

Default No sound when recording MIDI track in PT 6.9

Hello eveyone
I'm a newbee, I've just purchased a digi 002 rack with PT LE 6.9. My system is P4 with Window XP pro. I followed instructions connecting my Roland XP60 to Digi002. MIDI in, MIDI out to MIDI out, MIDI in, and direct out (audio) from XP60 to line in of Digi002. Record a MIDI track in PT, everything is fine except, no sound , Playback just recorded MIDI track, no sound.I set up MIDI in to all chanels; MIDI out to XP60 chanel 1, and activated MIDI through. Please anyone can help me out this problem. I would really appreciate any sugggestion you can offer.
I also installed VST Edirol But I could not locate it in PT .
Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Re: No sound when recording MIDI track in PT 6.9

You said that you connected the outputs to the 002, but how are you monitoring the outputs of the XP60 in Pro Tools?

Set up an aux track with the input set to the line inputs where the xp60 is plugged in. (make sure you raise the volume on the track)

Also, make sure that MIDI thru is on in Pro Tools.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-26-2006, 11:06 AM

First, Thank you very much Mr. SPKGUITAR for your kind heart of helping not only me but many others via this forum. Just as you said, I did not hear anything during recording, just playout the notes in music sheet silently. I definitely will try your way and hope that it will solves my problem.
Again, thank you SPKGUITAR
Old 04-26-2006, 07:15 PM

OK, MIDI sound is fine now.I can monitor what I play during recording Thanks you very much SPKGUITAR
Now, I imported a MIDI file which consists of 8 tracks. Do I have to create 8 Aux tracks, one for each MIDI track in order to hear the sound? Do I have to import one track at a time then create an aux track for that MIDI track before I can import another MIDI track?
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:28 AM

No, you do not have to create 8 aux tracks, unless you are using 8 separate physical instruments.

When you import a multi-track MIDI file, each track is usually a separate instrument and assigned a separate MIDI channel. You will need to assign the outputs of each MIDI track to a separate MIDI channel of the instrument you are trying to control. The xp60, in your case, is routing it's stereo audio into an aux track. The audio output from all 8 separate instruments will be routed through this stereo aux.

You will probably want to make sure that your xp60 is set up properly in the MIDI Studio Setup, as it will make selecting patches from within Pro Tools much easier. (Covered in appendix E of the Getting Started Guide)

As for your earlier inquiry about the "VST edirol", I'm assuming you are talking about the virtual sound canvas or hyper canvas? Pro Tools does not use VST plugins directly. If you want to use VST format plugins in Pro Tools, you will need to purchase the VST-RTAS adapter from FXPansion.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 04-27-2006, 08:14 PM

Following your instructions, MIDI tracks work out fine, only problem was I could not solo a track . If I clicked solo button on a track, I had no sound even the sound meter still moving as usual.Also the sounds were not correct ( Drum sounds like a bad string and bass sounds like a mute guitar etc..)only the first channel had correct instrument sound. I will keep working on it, maybe I did something incorrectly.
Thank a lot Mr SPKGUITAR for everything
Old 04-28-2006, 04:48 AM

You need to "Solo Safe" the aux track (ctrl+click the solo button).

Covered in more detail starting on page 105 of the 6.9 Reference Guide