Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

dammit, I'd love to try it.

I'm one of those idiots on a G5 though, so no Intel-->no PT8.1-->no heat.
I could perhaps afford a new Mac, but all my HD cards are PCI, so I'd not only have to shell out like 2500 for a Mac but another 10k or something for a PCIe upgrade.

=> if I wanna try HEAT I'd have to shell out like 12-15K or something to build an entire system. Ghey.

does anyone have an idea if there'll be a HEAT version for 8.01 in the future? (I know, I'm being way too optimistic here )
Old 08-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD-Studio View Post
dammit, I'd love to try it.

I'm one of those idiots on a G5 though, so no Intel-->no PT8.1-->no heat.
I could perhaps afford a new Mac, but all my HD cards are PCI, so I'd not only have to shell out like 2500 for a Mac but another 10k or something for a PCIe upgrade.

=> if I wanna try HEAT I'd have to shell out like 12-15K or something to build an entire system. Ghey.

does anyone have an idea if there'll be a HEAT version for 8.01 in the future? (I know, I'm being way too optimistic here )
If you have a G5 it means...

Nothing past 8.0.1cs2.

No 8.1. No new interfaces. No HEAT.

One will also note that 8.1 will only work with Snow Leopard, and is the very last build for HD systems still on XP. Time to move on to the future, folks.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Time to move on to the future, folks.
will heat work with my studer???
Old 08-17-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm hoping this is different than just putting a Crane Song Phoenix on every channel. There doesn't seem to be much info about how HEAT works - does it change the actual summing that occurs in the Stereo Mixer, or does it just apply this 'tone' to every channel and the master fader?

Anyone know more info?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Hi,

Trying the demo...

http://www.avid.com/US/products/HEAT

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM

So, tell us, how much does it tax the system? Where does it get its power from? RTAS or TDM? Is it possible to add this to a big mix with 100+ voices running on a HD3?

It seems to add a nice sound (from hearing the demo), though... As always, easy to overdo. And... does it do more to the sound of the mix than sticking some nice analog outboard on the master would?

Questions...

Phone +46707773443
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
So, tell us, how much does it tax the system? Where does it get its power from? RTAS or TDM? Is it possible to add this to a big mix with 100+ voices running on a HD3?

It seems to add a nice sound (from hearing the demo), though... As always, easy to overdo. And... does it do more to the sound of the mix than sticking some nice analog outboard on the master would?

Questions...
Hi,

On a 50 track mix it used about 1 chip

Here's a screen shot showing the master controls for heat and the insert on the track etc! it doesn't use a plugin slot it has its own dedicated slot!! it has drive and tone adjustments!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post
I'm hoping this is different than just putting a Crane Song Phoenix on every channel. There doesn't seem to be much info about how HEAT works - does it change the actual summing that occurs in the Stereo Mixer, or does it just apply this 'tone' to every channel and the master fader?

Anyone know more info?
I have both, they are not the same. Phoenix, by comparison, is very subtle. HEAT can also be subtle, can can also be dialed in to a greater degree. It's much more useful, in my opinion, as it can sometimes make a huge difference. Try the demo, it's pretty great.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Cool Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Hmmmm.....I have the Phoenix plugs, which are nice, and I have a Crane Song 192 HEDD, which is still my go to box....HEAT sounds okay, but I'm not sold for $495....I'll sit on this one for a while before spending that amount on a 'software option'....
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 AM

it looks like a plugin on each channel.
which is fine to me, but it wold be soooo much better to be able to change it on each channel.

I am using this for a mastering session now, so the disadvantage is clear.
The solution is automating the main heat control so I can still alter the settings for each track oh no wait this can't be done either.

I DONT UNDERSTAND why these audiopeople keep thinking like it's 1960.
duh, we are doing analog emulation, so we though automation or track by track adjustments couldn't be done on analog so let's leave it out.

clearly it was not meant for the way I use it, but that does not mean I don't want to, or any one else for that matter.

the reason why I am so mad, is that the thing sounds AMAZING!!! otherwise I would not have posted this,... so please DIGI listen to me and take your timemachine from 1960 to 2011 thanks,

Mark

P.S a level trim would be nice to have to, so it's easier to compare a track to the non-heat version