Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 03:22 AM

Default playback skipping & sound drops in and out on rec.

Hi,

I've been struggling with 2 issues on my ibook G4 for some time now (OSX 10.4.6). I've had and Mbox2 set up for some time now which has worked very reliably with a lot of playback use and some fairly basic recording with pro tools (6.8.1) I have been playing mp3's from itunes (6.0.4) through monitor speakers hooked up to the mbox without any problems - until recently.......sound from mp3's and sometimes from quickitme get stuck and repeats itself like a scratched cd. If I switch to the ibooks sound card the track will continue to play normally, but the stuck sound also continues to play requiring a reboot to clear the problem.

Also now when recording with Protools, when a track is put into record, the sound coming through the line will sometimes drop in and out intermittently, requiring a restart of protools to clear it.

My gut feel was that the mbox driver was corrupted somehow, so I have removed and reinstalled protools, but to no avail. I am worried that I have updated OSX beyond the release that has been qualified by digidesign (I think 10.2?) and not sure if this could be the problem? I am reluctant to go thru the process of rolling the OS back without being certain that it would fix the problem.

Has anyone experienced similar issues to this? I have tried researching this problem for some time but with no real leads. Anyone able to help a novice protooler?

Cheers

Scott
Old 07-02-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: playback skipping & sound drops in and out on rec.

I thought I may as well reply to my issue, as I have received a helpful response from the digi support.

The digi team believed two things were at issue with my system. 1. That I was running pt 6.8.1 on a version of OSX (10.4.6) that had not been qualified by the digidesign. 2. That only the following list of software was qualified for use with the core audio driver.....
Ableton Live 4.1x
Reason 3.04
Cubase SX3
Apple GarageBand 2.0.2
Apple iLife v5
Apple Quicktime 7.x
RealOne 10.x
Roxio Toast with Jam 6.x

A list that does not include iTunes.

Suffice to say, if I unplug my Mbox2 and use the ibooks on board sound card for everything other than protools or Reason, then the problem with audio playback from itunes and webstreaming does not occur.

To avoid rolling back the OS to 10.4 with PT 6.8.1, I took up the PT offer of an upgrade to PT7 and upgraded to 7.1 which is qualified by digi for use with OSX 10.4.6. I am still experiencing some issue with clipping in Pro Tools but believe this is probably related to hardware buffering as an adjustment to this setting will usually clear the issue. I might now post another post related to that.