Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: PT 6.9.2cs2 Inconsistent LTC Chase

ALmost forgot, checked the drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM

And as for setting the "delay before locking to TC" it's set to 0 and no changable. I assume because I am not using serial maybe? So I am unable to set it to 10. Maybe there is a way around?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It should read Deathstar. Seriously, the drive is likely not the cause of this problem, but that drive is going to give you all kinds of problems. It's reliability is horrid, and I have pinned my SWOD problems in the past directly to that model disk. When you can, do yourself a favor and replace it with a Seagate.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It should read Deathstar. Seriously, the drive is likely not the cause of this problem, but that drive is going to give you all kinds of problems. It's reliability is horrid, and I have pinned my SWOD problems in the past directly to that model disk. When you can, do yourself a favor and replace it with a Seagate.
Actually I have had great sucess with the drive. I've done maxed out track counts off the one drive with out it even flinching. Plus I trust Melrose Mac since they specialize in audio/video. I'm a Seagate fan myself, but I don't wanna stop a good thing, so until it breaks (which all HDs do eventually) I'm gonna stick with it.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Whats the largest 10k rpm Seagate SATA drive you can get though? Last I checked they were fairly small.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Whats the largest 10k rpm Seagate SATA drive you can get though? Last I checked they were fairly small.
I believe it's 37Gigs.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:15 AM

The problem that we all see is definitly not HD related, because it is present in various configurations.

btw, PT 6.93cs1 showing the same symptoms with an Avant, later I can check MT too.

BW
Old 08-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Avid

Quote:
And as for setting the "delay before locking to TC" it's set to 0 and no changable. I assume because I am not using serial maybe? So I am unable to set it to 10. Maybe there is a way around?
Turns out this preference is only available if you have the MachineControl option installed/authorized. You don't have to be using it, it just has to be installed. Is there anyone else that can try setting this to 10 frames. If that doesn't work, try 20.

Thanks,
Jordan
Old 08-29-2005, 02:09 PM

Jordan,
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but I think most of us would agree that this is something a bit more complex than a setting. There is something fundamenally wrong here that cannot be fixed by changing sofware options. I'm really not at liberty to work on the problem with you right now, as I am knee deep in some productions at my home studio, and won't be using the SSL/HD rig for a few weeks.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:57 PM

HDUser13, i totally agree, because we are in the darkness for a while, we already checked all setting stuff + possebilities ourself.

Jordan, we can offer You some measurement reports of our inhouse service department, they checked several Sync I/O boxes and the result is that it is flakey, that´s the reason why in two SSL rooms Sync I/O has been retired. Two other german TV station have equivalent results in their testing departments when they tested Sync I/O..so it would help if You can double check that also...

For us it is really hard to understand that You have problems to repro this, when we run into this everyday a couple of times.
The only room which is ultrastable is a MixCube with AV/XL + ProControl+2FaderPacks/USD and Colin Broad SR-4 as Synchronizer controlling PT + all 3 videomachine formats.

BW
Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Avid

I agree, it would appear that something changed in Pro Tools 6.9 that's causing this. However, the fact that we can't reproduce it here leads me to believe that there is some variable, or combination of variables, that needs to be met. Adjusting settings may give us a clue as to what that is, or maybe we'll find something that improves performance (i.e. Delay Before Locking to Time Code). Any more details that you folks can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks for your patience while we get to the bottom of this.

-Jordan