Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2003, 01:22 PM

Default More ? on Red Book

Hi folks,
I have been using Jam for a few weeks, Thanx to you guys for recomending it. My question is this, If I make A red Book CD with Jam, are all other duplictes from "that" CD red Book?, Or should I make all my dupelicates with Jam. I have 100 CDs to burn for a client. He wants them all to be Red Book (long story)
Thanx
NoteFarm [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: More ? on Red Book

You should burn them all on Jam. Also...if you were sending a master to a duplication shop...you should burn the master at only 2X-4X. Anything higher can produce small errors..and you don't want those errors duplicated 100 times. But it's probably a good idea to burn 2x-4x anyways to avoid errors on the 100 cds you are copying. You may also want to look into what kind of CD work best for your burner. Certain burners can have upwards of a 50% failure rate for certain brands of CDs. I don't know where you'd find that out..but that's what I learned at school on this very topic.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Certain burners can have upwards of a 50% failure rate for certain brands of CDs. I don't know where you'd find that out..but that's what I learned at school on this very topic.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">YO Threshold, this is not I REPEAT this is not an attack !!!!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But I think your school teacher is using some outdated info.

A few years ago, i had a scsi burner 8x i think, and it was finicky to say the least. I had to use certain media, Had to burn stuff slow, etc.

in the past 3 years, I have had a few different burners, right now I have a 32x ide insrtalled where my dvd/cd player used to be. I just plugged it in (cheap chinese brand) and it works like a normal internal drive.

I burn hundreds, maybe thousands of discs (house music mix cd's) and i NEVER have any problems.

I always use the cheapest media I can get, right now using some GQ (good quality?) cd's i got for CHEAP.

In the recent past people have been saying "I only use these certain cd's that cost 2.25 each and burn at 1x, so I don't lose data, etc.

I say if it is a master going to a dupe house, sure a 1x master on some magic high quality cd will probably make you sleep better, but I think modern cd's and burners are stable enough that you can use the cheaper stuff no problem.

Just my 57 cents
Old 07-13-2003, 01:51 PM

Well, I guess you're lucky. Now I haven't had a 50% failure rate myself..and maybe it's a little less..but if I use a certain brand..I will have failures a lot more than if I use another brand. The failures I'm talking about here have nothing to do with what speed you burn at. These are just compadibility issues with burner and disk manufacturer. I think my yamaha burner doesn't like TDK, but Maxell work fine.

The errors with speed are diffrent. And that only has to do with burning a master to be duplicated.

Maybe burners that are being made today are better. Chances are that they are...but I"ve had my burner for 3 years now..and it's finiky with certains CDs.