Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2024, 08:58 AM

Default I cant see EZ drummer in Pro Tools?

Hi,
I have EZ drummer on my computer, and it opens in Logic fine. BUT when I try to create a new instrument track in Pro Tools Studio, EZ drummer isnt listed!?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:36 AM

Default Re: I cant see EZ drummer in Pro Tools?

And your computer is a what? Running what version of Pro Tools with what version of Ez Drummer installed?

You creating a stereo instrument track?

If you are running on an Apple Silicon Mac (not under Rosetta) have you got a recent version of Ez Drummer installed that supports Apple Silicon? You should be using Pete Gates PT Prefs Tool to check all your plugins are Universal. Running under Logic Pro OK does not mean Intel based plugins will run OK under Pro Tools, all this has been discussed to death in other threads on DUC going back years now.

---

If they are not the issues then confirm that the EZ Drummer .aaxplugin file is in the Pro Tools plugin directory, and try trashing prefs.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:03 AM

Thank you
I have an apple mac mini m2 pro, Pro tools studio works perfect, so does EZ Drummer when I use LOGIC.

I don't want to trash any prefs as it works fine in Logic, and I am not sure what trash prefs means tbh.

All my UA plug ins work in Logic AND PRO TOOLS

where do I find the aaxplugin file is in the Pro Tools plugin directory?

My EZ Drummer is about 5 years old.

Excuse my ignorance with everything!
Old 01-04-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerochan View Post
Thank you
I have an apple mac mini m2 pro, Pro tools studio works perfect, so does EZ Drummer when I use LOGIC.

I don't want to trash any prefs as it works fine in Logic, and I am not sure what trash prefs means tbh.

All my UA plug ins work in Logic AND PRO TOOLS

where do I find the aaxplugin file is in the Pro Tools plugin directory?

My EZ Drummer is about 5 years old.

Excuse my ignorance with everything!
Trashing Pro Tools preferences will not effect Logic
As Darryl noted you probably have to make sure its' stereo instrument track

That said the first thing to consider is a 5 year old version EZ drummer will likely need to run under Rosetta 2 on an Apple Silicon Mac
So either upgrade to the new Silicon Native compatible version of EZ 3
Or
Try this

"Locate the Pro Tools application in your Applications folder. Right-click (or Control-click) on the Pro Tools application and select "Get Info." In the "Get Info" window, you will see an option labeled "Open using Rosetta." Check the box next to it. Close the "Get Info" window and launch Pro Tools.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-04-2024, 10:20 AM

On a Mac, you can find the aax plug-ins at the following location:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Avid > Audio > Plug-ins

If you don't see EZ Drummer in that location, it is possible that it was never installed since some installers have you choose which versions of the plug-in to install.

As far as trashing preferences, it is simply deleting Pro Tools specific files, which causes PT to re-initialize things like which plug-ins you have installed and other settings. It is PT specific and would not affect Logic.

Start by looking to see if EZ Drummer is indeed installed for use in PT.

System Details
Old 01-04-2024, 10:23 AM

Your old version of Ez Drummer likely is Intel only and will not run natively in Pro Tools on an Apple Silicon Mac.Best approach is to upgrade EZ Drummer.

I don’t care if plugins run under Logic, Logic has support for running Intel only plugins while the app is native Apple silicon. Pro Tools does not. You need all Apple silicon support, or you need to run under Rosetta.

You need to get your act together, the info you need has been discussed on DUC for years, and all this should have been sorted out before you upgraded. Again, by checking your plugin Universal support using Pete Gates’s PT Prefs utility, have you bothered to google/go find PT Prefs and use that to look at the installed plugins?

Trashing prefs will not help you here, but you should know how to do that, and/or be using PT prefs to do that if needed. And when you run into basic stuff like this you don’t know just Google it. You and Google have all the info needed to solve your problem here.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post

That said the first thing to consider is a 5 year old version EZ drummer will likely need to run under Rosetta 2 on an Apple Silicon Mac
Or
Try this

"Locate the Pro Tools application in your Applications folder. Right-click (or Control-click) on the Pro Tools application and select "Get Info." In the "Get Info" window, you will see an option labeled "Open using Rosetta." Check the box next to it. Close the "Get Info" window and launch Pro Tools.

THANK YOU, this is all needed to do, EZ Drummer is now showing, after I open under Rosetta! much appreciated
Old 01-04-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post

Or
Try this

BTW its EZDRUMMER 2 I have, is the upgrade to Ez Drummer 2 Silicon available? and is there a problem running on Rosetta from now on?
Old 01-04-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerochan View Post
BTW its EZDRUMMER 2 I have, is the upgrade to Ez Drummer 2 Silicon available? and is there a problem running on Rosetta from now on?
No you need a recent version of EZ Drummer 3 to run Apple Silicon native on AAX.

The disadvantage of Rosetta is a bit more CPU and memory overhead, maybe more chance for instability, maybe need to track at larger H/W buffer size, etc. which you might or might not notice. You are maybe potentially more exposed to compatibility issues relying on older plugins. Kick it around and see how well it works for you with more demanding sessions. Eventually Rosetta support will be dropped from macOS. Likely in the next few years.

Ez Drummer 3 was a significant upgrade to EZ Drummer 2. So if that was your only Intel plugin issue I would be trying to upgrade.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No you need a recent version of EZ Drummer 3 to run Apple Silicon native on AAX.

The disadvantage of Rosetta is a bit more CPU and memory overhead, maybe more chance for instability, maybe need to track at larger H/W buffer size, etc. which you might or might not notice. You are maybe potentially more exposed to compatibility issues relying on older plugins. Kick it around and see how well it works for you with more demanding sessions. Eventually Rosetta support will be dropped from macOS. Likely in the next few years.

Ez Drummer 3 was a significant upgrade to EZ Drummer 2. So if that was your only Intel plugin issue I would be trying to upgrade.
`Thanks loads for this Darryl, I think will upgrade to Ez 3, best plan, thanks again