How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 AM

Default Analogue synth Midi hardware setup

Hi there,

unfortunately I am a bit of a MIDI n00b, as far as hardware goes.
I have am not getting signal into my Midi track at the moment. I have

* A USB powered midi controller - M-Audio keystation 61es (can use for virtual instruments, works fine on instrument tracks)

* a Blofeld desktop synthesiser (no keys on this one). I can record the Blofeld directly as an audio channel into PT, but I want to use it as MIDI

So, I've got a Midi cable going out of the Blofeld and into my MIDI controller. I also have a USB out from the Blofeld into my Mac laptop. I'm using Mavericks. It doesn't show up automatically in Midi setup but it does show up as an input/output when I create a MIDI track in PT.

There is no signal coming through PT but the MIDI light does flash on the desktop synth when I press the keys.

I wanna hear it through the MIDI channel What am I missing here?

Thank you,
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Analogue synth Midi hardware setup

Well midi doesn't send or recieve a audio signal so you need tomconnect the Blofeld synth to a interface with audio cables loke trs in order to get sound or you can use headphones in the Blofeld to hear the sound but you would only hear that synth and nothing else.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibtgom View Post
Hi there,

unfortunately I am a bit of a MIDI n00b, as far as hardware goes.
I have am not getting signal into my Midi track at the moment. I have

* A USB powered midi controller - M-Audio keystation 61es (can use for virtual instruments, works fine on instrument tracks)

* a Blofeld desktop synthesiser (no keys on this one). I can record the Blofeld directly as an audio channel into PT, but I want to use it as MIDI

So, I've got a Midi cable going out of the Blofeld and into my MIDI controller. I also have a USB out from the Blofeld into my Mac laptop. I'm using Mavericks. It doesn't show up automatically in Midi setup but it does show up as an input/output when I create a MIDI track in PT.

There is no signal coming through PT but the MIDI light does flash on the desktop synth when I press the keys.

I wanna hear it through the MIDI channel What am I missing here?

Thank you,
You're missing a couple of things:
Unlike some synths the Blofeld only uses the USB port for computer communications and no audio. You need to connect the audio outs of Blofeld to your audio interface's inputs (2 because the Blofeld is stereo out).

Second - you don't hear audio through a MIDI track. The PT MIDI track only contains the MIDI you're recording from your 61es. You say you have your 61es connected directly to the Blofeld if I read you right. What I would do is to connect the es to your computer and then run a MIDI cable from the computer to the Blofeld - you'll need some sort of MIDI interface for that. This way you can record the MIDI in PT and have it for posterity (or until you or the computer decides to delete it ). In PT you'd create a MIDI track to feed the Blofeld. Then create an aux track in PT to receive the audio. I say aux track because you can hear your incoming audio as you play. Then when you're satisfied with what you have and want to render the audio you route the output of the aux track to an audio track, record enable the audio track and hit f12 on your computer keyboard to start recording. I use this method to record my external MIDI synths(Moog Voyager, DSI PolyEvolver and Motif 7 (for when I need the odd GM sound).

edit for additional:
The Blofeld may not be able to work MIDI from both the 5 pin MIDI and USB connections at the same time; the manual isn't clear on that. That and PT in my experience doesn't work all that well with what I call hybrid MIDI setups where a combo of 5 pin MIDI and USB MIDI connections are used at the same time. I've had issues with that.

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 PM

Musicman, thank you!! This makes more sense to me now. Am thinking I will now need to get a new interface with MIDI inputs considering my growing synth collection
Old 08-02-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Musicman, thank you!! This makes more sense to me now. Am thinking I will now need to get a new interface with MIDI inputs considering my growing synth collection
I would suggest that you get a separate MIDI interface. I use a no-longer-made MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB - it's an 8 in/ 8 out interface and MIDI patch bay. This is the current one most similar to what I have http://motu.com/products/midi/xpressxt_usb not cheap at $349. There's a less expensive 8 channel from MOTU http://motu.com/products/midi/128 less expensive at $235from Sweetwater.

QAPLA!
Old 08-02-2017, 09:12 PM

Thanks mate, I will look into that. Just another question about what you said - I think you said I should use an aux to hear the MIDI, I understand that part - but my outputs on the MIDI track don't allow for buss sends I'll show you what I mean with a screenshot -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 2.11.24 pm.jpg (47.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:14 PM

I think I've concluded I can receive Midi data from a synth with a usb but I cannot record the synth with a USB
Old 08-03-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks mate, I will look into that. Just another question about what you said - I think you said I should use an aux to hear the MIDI, I understand that part - but my outputs on the MIDI track don't allow for buss sends I'll show you what I mean with a screenshot -
You are not following what I wrote in my original reply to you. Once again as written by Christopher and me - you cannot hear audio through a MIDI track. Did you even read and understand what I wrote in that post? You need to connect the audio outs from the Blofeld to your audio interface and use an aux track to receive that audio - it's all in my original post.
Quote:
I think I've concluded I can receive Midi data from a synth with a usb but I cannot record the synth with a USB
See my original reply to you. You really need to understand what's going on with computer recording - there's plenty of tutorials out there you just have to make Google your friend.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:10 AM

I think you misunderstood my question - I understand that you can't hear midi. I was confused specifically about routing.

As it turns out, I was simply unaware that you needed to record through an aux and then print to an audio track.

If someone said it as I just said it, it would have been much clearer to me, however I did not interpret that in your post. This is not criticism at all but reflects that this is what learning is like- people don't understand the same explanations but others can simplify it in another way. As a piano teacher I try to remember this and I don't take it personally if someone misinterprets me.

Now, of course I did search all day on this - but kept coming up short. I don't need to defend myself but I do did not intentionally go out to cause trouble and provoke an abruptly aggressive tone from someone. I assume I must have offended you, so I apologise
Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my question - I understand that you can't hear midi. I was confused specifically about routing.

As it turns out, I was simply unaware that you needed to record through an aux and then print to an audio track.

If someone said it as I just said it, it would have been much clearer to me, however I did not interpret that in your post. This is not criticism at all but reflects that this is what learning is like- people don't understand the same explanations but others can simplify it in another way. As a piano teacher I try to remember this and I don't take it personally if someone misinterprets me.

Now, of course I did search all day on this - but kept coming up short. I don't need to defend myself but I do did not intentionally go out to cause trouble and provoke an abruptly aggressive tone from someone. I assume I must have offended you, so I apologise
You did not offend me so no worries there.

I explained it clear as day what you needed to do. I gave you step-by-step instructions on how to record your external synth. I also explained as did Christopher that you had a misunderstanding as to how MIDI and audio work as regards recording which is something that those new to computer recording often don't get on first exposure. I could have explained it as you write it here but that would have left things open to more back and forth as to exactly how to do the job. So I figured I'd give you the full Monty as to being able to record. A good teacher would do just as I did. I've written the method here like I have many times before and everyone got it first time.

Thing is with this type of work you really need to be conversant with how things work. I'd suggest getting the PT101 courseware book; it covers how to work in PT for those just starting out. I don't know if it's been updated in years but the info in the book is still relevant today.

QAPLA!