Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 12:41 AM

Default best monitors for beginner on a budget..

someone explained to me that a beginner shouldnt spend to much money on monitors (gave me an analogy about beginners concentrating on splitting wood and worry about splitting hairs aways down the road.) well.. that sounds logical to me and, having a limited budget, is convenient.
anyway, do you guys agree with the analogy? if so,
what are the most accurate monitors out there with decent bass response? i know you need me to throw out a number so here it is: $500... for a pair. is this unrealistic? of course i'd be happy to look on ebay if it meant i'd get more speaker for less cash. i'd appreciate any advice.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:27 AM

Default Re: best monitors for beginner on a budget..

http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/...r_shootout.htm

This should help you.

Wiz
Old 02-20-2003, 04:19 AM

No matter if you are a novice or an experienced woodsman, you can't split wood without a decent axe. In this case your axe is your monitors.

Having said that, the only way to truly know how a monitor is going to work for you is to use ti in your control room. Develop a relationship with a Pro Audio dealer in yur area that will let you audition monitors, preferably by pairs, and see which ones are right for you.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:35 AM

Yeah, what where said is the best advice, always buy the best you can afford, and try them out at home.

Unfortunately, money is a reality, and many 'beginners' don't have the relationship with a pro audio store that affords them the luxury of taking stuff home.

However, all the big stores offer some kind of return policy which can be effectively used as a try-out period.

Concerning the review referenced earlier in this thread, I've always been wary of that review- it seems to list the monitors almost backwards from many reviews I' ve read and my own personal experience.

The Beringher mon's have some good things going for them but do a search and count the number of DUC'ers who have had them break on them!

I have Tannoy Reveal passives and I love them. They are a great monitor for the price. I have never noticed the drivers going crazy like that reviewer did. Keep in mind he's a DJ/Dance guy, and they have much larger low end requirements than most!

With any monitor that size, low end has to be either lost or faked. I think it's better to have it lost, then I can get a sub and add it (which is what I did). Many people think that the Mackie's have low end problems for this reason.

If I were you I'd consider the passive Reveals with a Hafler Trans-Nova p1500 amp which can be had for around $200 on eBay when they show up. That amp is pretty amazing for the price.

Again, it's all speculation until you try them though!