Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 PM

Default Where do I start?

Hi,could anyone give me some advice.
I am looking at buying pro tools but don't know where to start.
For the last 4 years I have been using a Boss 1600 digital recorder.( I don't even know what the advantages if any with using protools over the Boss)
I only need sonthing with 1 or 2 inputs as I'm not recording a live band or anything. I have a Buget of about $500. What should I be looking at???
Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Where do I start?

Azmel,
sounds like the MBox would be perfect for you. Has 2 XLR, 2 1/4 inch combo, SPDIF, Midi, 2 Mic Pre for around 500. Mbox is coming out right now.

PT will be vastly more comprehensive than your Boss 1600.

Make sure and look at the system compatibility/requirements post for your computer before you buy...

Good luck enjoy, welcome.

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 AM

Specifically, there are several Mbox variants and some you should avoid. Avoid the original Mbox(light blue-grey case) with Focusrite preamps as it is no longer supported. Also, skip the Mbox Micro(no inputs) and the Mini(no midi and only 1 preamp). I would look at the Mbox 2, Mbox 2 PRO and the new Mbox 3(just released). The PRO is out of your price range, but a used one will fit in(and it has some advantages going for it). Actually, a used 002 can sometimes be had for well under 500 bucks if you get lucky enough to find one. Keep in mind that new hardware will include software and get you updates. SOmetimes buying used software can come with its own set of problems(depending on the seller taking care of transfer). New software can also be purchased by itself for $149(handy if you buy a used interface with no software).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM

^^^Yup...what he said^^^

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 AM

Thanks a lot guys. This info will help.it looks like a steep learning curv with all that needs to be Learnt to be able to get full potential of p.t. I am keen and excited.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 AM

If you do manage to track down an MBox2 Pro, one great advantage I find is the twin headphone sockets for when you're recording your mate and he/she wants a different headphone level to you, which is always the case with guitarists (I'm a guitarist so no apologies). I got £100 off my Pro because I tracked down a cheaper price on the net and my local store price matched it - worth a go.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Since you are at the beginning of the learning curve, let me toss more logs on the fire. I always recommend the firewire interfaces because of how Pro Tools handles audio. With the USB Mboxes, the USB bus is slower, which means more latency(time lag between the audio going IN, and coming back out for you to hear it. This latency also is affected by the playback buffer setting. Settings for USB Mbox are 128, 256, 512, 1024(all these are numbers of samples). The higher the buffer, the more time the computer has to process the audio(BUT, the longer it takes to be heard, hence you hear your audio late). USB Mboxes get around that by using direct monitoring with a MIX knob, so you can hear your new audio BEFORE it goes into Pro Tools(you would mute the track you are recording to so you don't hear doubling) and you balance the volume(in your headphones) by turning the MIX knob(to the left gives more of your incoming signal, to the right gives you more playback(everything that has already been recorded). If you computer is powerful enough to record at the 128 buffer, you can usually leave the MIX knob all the way to the right and the latency is small enough that it doesn't impede your work(you won't even notice it). With a weaker computer, you have to go with higher buffer settings(or if you have a ton of tracks and plugins that take lots of processing power). Firewire interfaces offer a buffer setting of 64(which most people don't hear), but they also offer an option called Low Latency Monitoring. What that does is make it so audio comes out with essentially no latency, BUT it bypasses any plugins of sends you have while a track is in record(a small price to pay IMHO). That way, you can have your buffer set to 1024 and still NOT hear latency while recording. Lots to learn for sure, but all this stuff is applicable to any DAW system. Hope I didn't fry too many brain cells on ya

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Thanks a lot Albee . I have been reading as much info on this forum befor I buy. You have explained it really well.
I think I will spend a bit more and get the mbox2 pro