Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 12:29 PM

Default OT: NS-10\'s - Vertical vs. Horizontal??

Sorry that this is COMPLETELY off topic but...

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a difference between the NS-10's that are "designed to be" vertically oriented versus the ones that are horizontally oriented? (you can tell by looking at the "Yamaha" label and the woofers)

I remember seeing a post about this somewhere but I can't seem to find it now that I need it!!

Thanks!!

Ryan
Old 05-25-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Re: OT: NS-10\'s - Vertical vs. Horizontal??

Horizontal. No matter what direction the sticker is facing. Have your woofers on inside and tweeters on outside.

exit
Old 05-25-2004, 06:27 PM

i would set em vertically

generally u want ur fronts to be @ a 30 degree azimuth and ur rears @ 130 degrees

if your lay them horizontally, your tweeters are @ a wider angle than your woofer which will throw off your imaging......i dunno why ppl insist on laying them on their sides......a 70hz signal is ~16ft long if i remember correctly.Sso why would u decrease the presence of the tweeter by putting it wider? in my head, u would hear a less true bass response and your mix would be bass heavy......... keep the woofer and tweeter both @ 30 degrees so your sound is as balanced as your room will allow.......get some mopads and angle them how u like.....

paul

Old 05-25-2004, 08:17 PM

It might be silly but once an engineer told me that it would be a good idea using the tweeters in the opposite( monitors mounted horizontally but with tweeters in the inner part) . He claimed one would pick a better stereo image (???)

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:12 AM

When I use them & I have done for years in radio (we have both types you describe). I definitely noticed an improved stereo image setting them vertical with the tweeters placed to the outside. Another improvement you can make is getting them small stands with either spikes or the Auralex monitor mats. But at the end of the day NS-10's are way to inaccurate rolling off rapidly after 60Hz (so watch your subs circa 50Hz & below) & the mids are very 'shouty' & overly pronounced in the 3-4k range. For me the Dynaudio BM6A's are a much better choice & have a respectably flat response down to 35Hz & are definitely way less fatiguing. With monitors you do get what you pay for & it is such a crucial area of any engineering work, so why skimp on this? You can have the best gear in the world but if your monitors aren't telling you the truth then all that gear is a waste. Of course besides good monitoring you need to have an accoustically treated room to help the cause too.

I'm glad the NS-10's aren't being manufactured any more, it's time the industry had a new higher quality standard. just my 2 cents

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia